AuthorTopic: Ultra-portable options for pixelling on-the-go  (Read 8011 times)

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Re: Ultra-portable options for pixelling on-the-go

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:26:28 pm
There are painting app for DS called Colors! (www.collectingsmiles.com/colors) but it's only for painting/sketching, so it's no good for pixelling. Then there's this upcoming app called Inchworm (http://www.inchwormds.com/)which is pretty advanced for both painting and pixelling but sadly it's not open to public yet. And it's color picker looks weird so I'm not too enthusiastic about it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:28:17 pm by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 06:07:03 pm
PypeBros, what happened to that 32x32 version you posted about on GBAtemp? How safe to use is the beta?

Oh, there's one called UAPaint which you can zoom in really close for pixel art, but I don't like it because it's stylus only.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 06:36:04 pm by MrMister »
it might be a one shot deal

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 07:37:55 pm
Oh btw, I still have the source code for deluxe-paint-style pixelling app for GBA. I dunno how much work it would be to port to DS and use the other screen for zooming and other 1:1 aspect ratio. It lacks only really few options and then it would be perfect. It already has really advanced palette menu etc. I wish someone could continue where the coder left off or maybe it could be helpful for someone who wants to create one from a scratch, but in the end I'd love that we could get a really nice portable pixelling program.

So monteboyd, if you want, PM me and I'll send you the source codes.

I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:59 am
Yeah, I've seen a few but PypeBros one looks like the only one which allows per-pixel work. But I haven't actually tried any of them yet, just talking from screenshots and videos atm.

I once started a project named Pixelshop having in mind the DS capabilities. It never became more than just good ideas thought
I red you would develop such a program.
I would be really interested in collaborating. I may be posting here some of the concepts that I once made.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:31:43 pm
PypeBros, what happened to that 32x32 version you posted about on GBAtemp? How safe to use is the beta?

The latest beta is fairly safe to use. I mean, it won't trash files on your media card or kill your console. It saves and reloads your job, etc. It may lack a couple of easy features such as an "undo" button or a save menu ...

If you need support for installing/using it, feel free to bug me on MSN (sylain-ulg@be.tf)

You shouldn't rely on versions posted on GBAtemp anymore (they're *really* old) but the current beta do support 32x32 and this is actually the default mode. What it still lacks is a convenient way to select new colors. I'd like to embed Arne's palette and the NES palette in the ersion 0.3.2 (which i hope to reach by the end of the month), but if you guys can give me hints on how you typically select / build colors for your artwork, it would definitively help me coming with some user-friendly GUI for that part, as it's something i still suck at.

I would be really interested in collaborating. I may be posting here some of the concepts that I once made.
I'm open to collaboration, even if it's just brainstorming on how xyz could be preferrably be done, or writing user-friendly tutorials. The most reason why there is "beta" sticked is that i expect the interface to be confusing at first time, since it's meant to be fast to use once you're fluent with the controls.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:44:08 pm by PypeBros »