Poll

What best describes your interest in pixel Dolls?

Love them.
I like them.
I don't care.
Not fond of them.
I hate them.

AuthorTopic: Doll Poll  (Read 18881 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Doll Poll

on: November 09, 2006, 07:43:51 pm
What do you think about the Doll scene and dolls in general?

Scotteh

Re: Doll Poll

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:46:00 pm
To be honest i don't know what a pixel doll is  :lol:

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:52:15 pm
hate hate hate hate!!!

Except for the ones we did long ago for swoo.net
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:30 pm
Dolls are a template driven medium. Some people create nude or blank figures, and people customize them, mostly by coloring and adding accessories. It's similar to doing 'Edits', though Dolls are typically not ripping commercial game art in the process.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:00:08 pm
A huge dislike - I respect those who make their own bases and edit them, but people with just simple edits to other people's is what annoys me.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:59:35 pm
No, I don't really like them but some of the "dolls" are actually funny, so I guess I'm not really fond of them :crazy:
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:12:32 pm
i like the " dolls" where the figure and accesories were made by one artist. that scene has imo, created a style i dont think most of us could pull off, really.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:46:30 pm
I am 'not fond of them' officially. There's occasional artists that are quite good to actually brilliant, and most of them get that way by subtly or not-so-subtly breaking away from dolling, it seems. I don't enjoy the concept of using other people's bases both because it creates this odd 'respect-based' clique mob mentality and because it potentially propagates mistaken techniques. It's the same faults that make 'Advanced Sprite Art' tutorials out of pillowshading. Just too inbred, not looking enough at better art by better artists.

Which isn't to say that most other pixel art scenes don't have similar problems, but it's particularily visible in the doll stuff. Moreover I find a large section of the doll art I've seen extremely aesthetically displeasing for various personal reasons, but nobody asked about that so I'll keep quiet. That it's a scene mainly frequented by 12-15 year old girls also may be a nebulous factor determining stuff, though I hesitate to guess what and how. I'd like it if some of the resident were-once or still-are doll artists could paint a picture from their experience.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:34 pm
Not fond of them. I dislike the way people use other people's bases. However i do appreciate the pieces by people who have done it all themselves, and if the way they made it is true to pixel-art. I think this answer would be pretty common.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 12:07:03 am
Thats probably #2 on my list why i like pixelation so much, the % of doll crap is very very low. The second this turns into a doll house I'm outta here.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama