Poll

What best describes your interest in pixel Dolls?

Love them.
I like them.
I don't care.
Not fond of them.
I hate them.

AuthorTopic: Doll Poll  (Read 18779 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Doll Poll

Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 10:10:42 pm
wow, amazing that there is so much hate for the Dollers. I dont know much about it because as I voted "I dont care", but from the few that get to the other side of the fence (here :p) it seems apparent that like in any other artistic comunity there are some very interesting people over there.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 10:13:49 pm
I dunno how I came off, but I'm not 'hatin' (whatever that is). I don't see anyone 'hatin' besides Dogmeat in this thread, really. And let it be known that my opinion isn't without the relative strength of that I have done some doll work to see what's up.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 10:16:44 pm
I'm talking about the polls :p
All this talk about how quality is more consistant in Doll comunites...well, it reminds me of the editing comunities.

It seems that any comunity in which there's a specific theme or basic goal in the pixelart, the minimum acceptable quality is clear and often people wait to reach it before they go and post anything. Maybe we should try something like that out?

if dolls are so efficient at giving incentive to make good folds and hairs maybe we could figure out some sort of template for the new people to use that would give them a good idea of what WE consider important........hm.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 10:28:35 pm by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 10:24:37 pm
I don't think we need any fake way to maintain quality. The strength of this place is that people come here at any skill-level and if they're in the right mindset to work and better themselves, they will be given opinions and edits on how to do just that. This isn't a showcase forum, I don't give a shit if someone comes here by accident and clicks on a thread by someone that isn't good and goes 'oh, so this is the sort of thing that gets posted here'. We're not here to provide eye-candy, we're here to help each other become honestly better. 'consistent quality' is meaningless on a critique forum.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 04:47:29 pm
Not everybody in the Dolling community is ready to separate their ego from their work, so we won't be seeing too many Dollers coming through here. One way to teach is through example, Conceit, so if you want to show how effective they are, it'd be good to start posting dolls of your own! :P Foogirl and I made templates for one another, and we did a doll activity where we take half a dozen random words and incorporate them into the design. One time it was... autumn, siamese, meteors, chains, pockets, sandals, parasols etc...

My color of Foogirl's template:

Foogirl's color of my template:

Tell me that's not a fun activity  :D

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:50:30 pm
Don't care, there are a lot of crappy dolls, but there are a lot of crappy scene pics, portraits, backgrounds, pinups, sprites, and tiles too :p if anything, props to dollers for establishing such a foothold in the pixel community.
typing ewith fdace

Offline mizanyx

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 05:53:15 am
I like them. I like cutie things, I don't know why but i do.

I've tried to create one:

For me its incredible that the dolling community have never created a standalone doll videogame...

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 26, 2006, 09:54:04 am
Well, if we can look past the over generalization and stereotypes the fact is practically every one here has taken part in (and probably enjoyed) some form of dolling. I have seen this in Sedgemonkeys weemen project for example (which by definition can be classed as "dolling") and countless fad driven pixels.

I personally think we're being abit hypocritical about the whole thing.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 01:38:36 pm
I myself like them. I've even had fun with those sites where you can make your own with all the peices they have.
I used to make dolls, but not so much anymore.
I once tried to make my own delux doll with a wide selection of clothes, but creating the base alone was so much bloody work, that I never did carry through with the idea.  :(

I like it, though its weakness is its symmetricalness...

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 02:14:52 pm
Stiffness of the poses and the imagination destroyed by what they call "Base" are probably the only reason why I dislike dolls art.
Otherwise we all know it's the best way to stick girls near by pixel art field.