AuthorTopic: Wallachian Night.  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Wallachian Night.

on: November 10, 2016, 05:39:56 am
I'm working on one of the outdoor settings for my game, a snowy Wallachian countryside. I'm personally happy with it myself, but you guys are good at pointing things out that I wouldn't notice otherwise.

Ignoring the top UI box (intentionally left incomplete), what do you guys think of the environment?

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: Wallachian Night.

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:22 pm
I think the environment is a bit too busy/noisy, it kind of has that old point and click style which everything looks "dirty". It might be what you're going for but I have a few suggestions.

tiles: clearly you're working with the whole tile there, you might want to give yourself a bit more breathing space to the platform for the character looks more interesting visually.

atmospheric perspective: you were almost there on the trees but you need to work on your mountain range, give it a color to blend a little better with the sky.

shading: the clouds are ok(you can add an extra color for shading tho) but the mountains could have a shape better defined. this also goes together with the trees, the ones in the back could be shaded with more broad shapes.

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:50:11 pm
Others have also pointed out the shape and shading of the mountains. I'll start there.

What about how busy the scene is? I'm guessing I could remove the trees closest to the foreground and only leave the silhouettes of the trees in the background. Any other suggestions to make the scene look less busy?

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:29:43 pm
the composition is fine, I said it's busy because of, for example, the way you drew the foreground trees. it's way too grainy and the colors could be improved. Look at this image from owlboy, focus more on shapes and less on "dot work"

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:21 pm
Okay, that makes sense. I'll rework some of these details.

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:03:56 am
Changes below.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 03:16:24 am
that's a really good improvement overall! I think you can use silhouette of trees to fill up some space of the background, maybe a dull grayish green. good job!  :y: