AuthorTopic: [CLOSED - Pixel Artist Found]  (Read 4396 times)

Offline hexcode

• I'm a Full-time Pixel Artist for hire!
    • @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Silipo's Portfolio

[CLOSED - Pixel Artist Found]

on: October 28, 2016, 11:48:42 pm
Hello,

xoMishka is a 2D side scrolling game which is being developed in Unity 5.
I require a pixel artist who can do character/enemy animations and tilesets.
The game's color palette is based on the NES color palette.

The team currently consists of:
1x C# Developer, artist/animator, designer (Me)
1x Music and SFX Designer
1x Artist (You)
I need to offload the artwork to someone as I need to focus on development and design.

You play as the a mouse, the world around you is larger than you. I found a lot of inspiration from Arriety as the object around the main player really give an interesting perspective on scale.
If you're not familiar with Arriety - please see here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Arriety&atb=v34-3a_&iar=images&iax=1&ia=images

The production of the game will be quite slow. But I am trying to backlog most of the artwork to make things easier for the future. I will require to collaborate with the artist to discuss ideas in order to get a nice result.

I am aiming for a similar quality and style as Shovel Knight, without copying it.

This game has 6 areas needing tilesets/fixed stage artwork:
  • Mouse Home
  • Garden
  • Drain Pipes
  • Underground Tunnels
  • Inside the Walls
  • Final Encounter

The game only has a few Characters, but mainly it will have numerous enemies.

Here are some samples that I created myself, I would like the game to look similar to this:

Early prototype - wrong colors

Payment opportunity:
You tell me. I might not be able to afford it if your looking to get rich.

Payment in AUD - Australian Dollars
Price is negotiable depending on experience.

All artworks could have 3 potential feedback revisions per piece prior payment arrangement.

It's very important that if you begin working on this project you complete it.

Deadline for artwork will be 4-months from the start date.

Things to expect from me:
A list of assets with descriptions.
Visual sources for inspiration.
Critique on artwork produced.
Diligent and fast response to communication.
Demonstrations of discussed ideas. This means I might create some artwork to help get the idea across.

Things to expect from the artist:
Marking progress on the asset sheet.
Provide concepts/ideas/colors/discuss/sketch before production to mitigate wasted work.
Someone passionate about the end result, not about making decisions to satisfy themselves.
Looping .gif samples of animations, mockups of how a tileset might be used, backgrounds to be shown in context with artwork to show relevance.
Diligent and fast response to communication.

Please email Joe: mrsilipo@gmail.com    if you are interested, with a sample of relevant work for this project.
Happy to meet on Skype for more info Skype name: mrsilipo

PM's will be viewed, but not as fast as direct email.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:03:58 pm by hexcode »
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
I'm dedicating my life to become an amazing pixel artist.

Offline tandemar

• @tandemar
    • tandemar
    • tandemar
    • tandemar
    • simonbutler57
    • View Profile
    • Tandemar's Tumblr page
Hi,

While A: your hero is one of the cutest I have seen in a LONG time and B: the game does look exceptionally endearing due to the whole retro style there is one major problem.

Your price range is way too low.

This may be a hobby project or it might even be a full-scale professional title destined for Steam, I don't know. But either way these prices will only attract first time pixel-pushers.
You might strike lucky and find someone new to the industry who is a genius and prepared to work for this scale, but I seriously doubt it.
I am only saying this to try and help.
This is not a criticism, it is an observation.

I have been a 2D artist in the games industry since 1983 and as a freelance artist I know what prices people will accept or should offer.

You need to revise your pay scale.

Offline Bo___

• Bo_Pixel_Design
    • bodesignspixels
    • View Profile
    • Designs by Bo
exactly....
Also Do not forget ,we, pixelartist, are often paid 30 35 dollars PER HOUR by studio, so please, make an effort on this

Offline hexcode

• @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
Hi. Thanks for the advise and the complement on artwork. I completely agree with you, but please hear me:

I'm currently doing sprite animations for a guy who made very well know games for the community, released for free, Crystal Shard for example. I put my heart and soul into it because I love it and I know there are good people out there who can't afford to pay me as they don't have a studio and are people just like you and me. I work full-time and make games every moment around. This is a very small scope project that is achievable. I just thought it would be nice to get help from someone else for a change and who was like me. Seeing as ALL of the pixel work I've done was for free, I thought I'd at offer someone least enough to buy a coffee while doing it.

Keeping the price in mind, I AM negotiable because I'm not a jerk and can appreciate talent. But cannot pay per hour. No way. I'm not stingy, or triple A, I'm just a normal hard-working guy with a passion for video games looking for people who share that vision.
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE

Offline gutpriince

• View Profile
i'm very interested. contact me at graysonapollok@gmail.com and we can talk further.

here's some of my work: http://sta.sh/2rrz6nludo6?edit=1

Offline Animator

• View Profile
Hi, I agree that the price is low, and especially since you made it yourself, you already know how
long it takes to someone to create this quality - which is very good I must admit - so it is easy to calculate
if this is able to support a living ( certainly not getting rich ) or not.

My suggestion is to offer also revenue share to the potential artist. It is a fair way
to ask them to share the risk with you and as a result do their best to offer you great quality at initialy low price.

Think about it.

Offline cococamo919

• cococamo191
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • cococamo919
    • cococamo919
    • cameron troup
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
i am interested in you offer. contact me at cameron-troup@hotmail.co.uk
here is my social media http://cococamo919.deviantart.com/

Offline grigoreen

• Pixel art chameleon
    • grigoreen
    • grigoreen.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio site
The game is amazing, id wish to work on that but the style requested is completely different from mine.  I wish you best of luck finding the right candidate!

Offline hexcode

• @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone fopr submissions if I have missed to send you a direct email.

Just to let you know, no decisions will be made until November 16th.
There is still time to apply.

Regarding the comments of pay, thank you for the suggestions and I accept the advise given.

:)
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE