AuthorTopic: [C&C] I post for your review  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Shackhal

• Pixel Art? Great!!
    • @shackhal
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/53663.htm
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

[C&C] I post for your review

on: September 14, 2015, 10:01:12 am
I already present myself in the "Introduce yourself" topic, but I'll make it again here because I think that re-introducing myself here will make you remember my name every time you enter here.

Hello everybody! I'm Shackhal. I'm here to learn and to find job doing pixel art ;D

This topic was made to post the pixel images I make, looking for feedback and to improve myself. And one topic is enough to do that because having one place to post all your pixel stuff for improvement is better than creating lot of topics for every pixel art you make. It's more organized that way. And you can see all the improvement, right?

Ok, let's begin...

Some days ago I casually found Arne's topic from 7-8 years ago about his journey to make an all-around 16-color palette, so I also wanted to make a 16-color palette. The same rules (to use it on all purposes and cold, warm and cross color ramps) but with no-full gray ramp (including full white and full black). I made it using a palette attempt I made before, but I modified using his palette as an example. There is not to much difference between both palettes, I guess.

Now, I'm doing game mockups with it. Here's the first one:

It have all the 16 colors. Also, I'm not satisfied with the rock wall in the far background, but my principal focus that moment was the color palette.

I expect some feedback. Whatever you find is good enough.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:19:48 pm by Shackhal »

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] I post for your review

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:52:06 pm
My first thought about the rock wall is maybe it is too bare. So you could extend the rock-highlights up alongside the lava stream. It could make it more visually interesting but it's a judgement call whether it makes it too noisy for a background.

I scribbled some in to see how it would look.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:12:54 am
I really like this. How long did it take you to create the mockup scene?

I like the edits that Parkerbaby did. It makes sense that the lava casts light on the rocks. I'm no pixel art expert but I'd recommend maybe experimenting by adding some slight highlights on the foreground. Obviously not enough to confuse the player between the foreground and mid ground. Maybe it could work, maybe not.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Shackhal

• Pixel Art? Great!!
    • @shackhal
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:19:19 pm
My first thought about the rock wall is maybe it is too bare. So you could extend the rock-highlights up alongside the lava stream. It could make it more visually interesting but it's a judgement call whether it makes it too noisy for a background.

I also though about that. But putting more details to the background could distract the player because this is a game mockup, where the foreground must keep the attention.

But it's just a mockup, not a game. So I modified the image anyways. I also modified the characters, because someone tell me that they doesn't have enough depth.

I really like this. How long did it take you to create the mockup scene?

I like the edits that Parkerbaby did. It makes sense that the lava casts light on the rocks. I'm no pixel art expert but I'd recommend maybe experimenting by adding some slight highlights on the foreground. Obviously not enough to confuse the player between the foreground and mid ground. Maybe it could work, maybe not.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, @heyguy! Good that you like it. Hmm, I estimate it takes me 8 hours. I know, too much time. I tried to make another background, but it didn't work. And I guess I always try to make it good enough. I'm trying to improve my speed too.

About your suggestion, remember that it was made testing my 16-color palette. It means that I can't add more colors and can't modify/change the colors easily because the colors here are not made to this mockup. It's made to use in lot of them.

I hope you like the changes I made above :)

Offline Shackhal

• Pixel Art? Great!!
    • @shackhal
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:19:54 pm
Now, here's the second mockup with the 16-color palette. As expected, it have all 16 colors.

Offline Shackhal

• Pixel Art? Great!!
    • @shackhal
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:07:18 am
Here's a little chibi girl with a hood I did for fun.