AuthorTopic: Double-Posting  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Double-Posting

on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:09 pm
Hello!

Could have more lax rules regarding double-posting? I find the current rule to be needlessly strict.

I can understand not double-posting twice a day but after a week, I think it'd be reasonable to double-post.

Sometimes you've made progress on a certain piece (which is my case at the moment) but can't reply because no one else has replied. I could create a fake account to submit a reply but that's beside the point. The objective here is not to circumvent the rule but to suggest having a more functional one.

I read the rules and it just said: "no double post". I think this should be nuanced somewhat. The Pixel Joint Forums don't have this rule and I have yet to see some abuse about this.

Thank you for reading.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Double-Posting

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:48:04 pm
Nobody here got striked if he double posted and did something creative.
I didn't before I got a mod and nobody else ever got one.
If that's in the rules we should most likely change that, but I don't think anyone cares if the post is of artistical importance.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:32:09 pm
I did, a couple of times.

I'll take your word for it though, thanks!  :y:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:41:21 am
In case just get back to me and we will get sorted it out
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:16 pm
Yo.
I do a majority of the double post merging and sending out pms to kindly ask people not to.
This mostly happens with new members.
Altho I've merged and pm'd many regulars as well.

I read the rules and it just said: "no double post"
Not quite.
Altho it's hard to find in the FAQ, the current rule is here:
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=4265.msg53089#msg53089

The rule isn't there to make people feel bad or stifle creativity.
The intention is to keep things clean and fair.
The more everyone can do that themselves, the less I, and other mods, have to do.

But you don't have any strikes.  ???
Were they absolved before this at some point?
If anyone else received a strike for a double post pm me, and we'll see about getting it removed.

Besides all that:
I'm all for evolving if it feels good.
So for the past few whiles, after reading this thread, I haven't merged or pm'd anyone about a double post.
There are plenty of quad+ posts around right now.
What do you guys think?
If the general consensus is that it doesn't really matter, I'll happily never merge posts again.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 11:36:40 pm
Yo.
I do a majority of the double post merging and sending out pms to kindly ask people not to.
This mostly happens with new members.
Altho I've merged and pm'd many regulars as well.

I read the rules and it just said: "no double post"
Not quite.
Altho it's hard to find in the FAQ, the current rule is here:
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=4265.msg53089#msg53089

The rule isn't there to make people feel bad or stifle creativity.
The intention is to keep things clean and fair.
The more everyone can do that themselves, the less I, and other mods, have to do.

But you don't have any strikes.  ???
Were they absolved before this at some point?
If anyone else received a strike for a double post pm me, and we'll see about getting it removed.

Besides all that:
I'm all for evolving if it feels good.
So for the past few whiles, after reading this thread, I haven't merged or pm'd anyone about a double post.
There are plenty of quad+ posts around right now.
What do you guys think?
If the general consensus is that it doesn't really matter, I'll happily never merge posts again.

I double post all the time, but I do it beyond just a simple bump. It's almost always something of creative importance. Heck, I have even triple and quadruple posted and never received so much as a warning. I feel like the moderating staff here are very lenient and understanding as long as you aren't just shamelessly bumping your threads.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:28 am
The problem with the current wording "unless it falls off the first page" is it assumes a certain level of activity. Currently it would take 2 weeks of waiting for that to be valid. I've seen on other forums 48 hours, but I don't see why 24 isn't fair as well.
Obviously the doubleposting rule is to avoid stepping on people's toes and to stifle artificial post count inflation, to an extent. The origin of the rule really comes down to "are you being annoying" and "are you actually contributing anything". For example earlier in the year, without being specific.
I think the wording should be changed to reflect how the rule is actually being enforced. I would wait until more have spoken their mind, but I suspect noone would be offended if someone bumps with an artistic addition. But I myself am annoyed if people bump with useless text.

The current rule is:

Be patient, and for the love of all that is pixel-related, DO NOT double-post to bump the topic unless it has fallen off the first page. Pixelation has many lurkers who merely browse the site and do not post, so chances are that 35 of those 40 hits may be random visitors passing by. Writing a critique takes time and effort, so members might view your thread and check out your work, but reply later in the day or week when it is convenient for them.

Could be something along the lines of:

Do not double-post to bump a topic until after 48 hours. If after 48 hours noone has responded, you may bump your post with further progress.

And I think anyone who's waited 48 hours, and not tried anything with their piece—hasn't visited another site, looked up a tutorial, found a reference—and still wants to bump their topic, is not the kind of person to meet the critiquer halfway. So I believe enforcing empty bumping is important.

All that said, as a mod, how do you gain by merging posts manually? Why not just implement an auto-merge double post mod for SMF?  ??? Set it to 48 hours and you're good.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:32:01 am
All that said, as a mod, how do you gain by merging posts manually? Why not just implement an auto-merge double post mod for SMF?  ??? Set it to 48 hours and you're good.
A suggestion disguised as a question! :o
Here let me try.
Crow, can you look into this?
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1