AuthorTopic: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE  (Read 22457 times)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: UPDATE: Pterodactyl Mobile Suit Design ~ OCTO FORCE

Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 10:46:23 pm
But I'm not going to redo the entire thing because a few people don't the way it looks or they say that I should spend a few years practising and then come back to this at a later time.

It doesn't have to take years, but to see meaningful improvement it does take time.

This was my first submission in march of 2014:

This was my last finished piece of work that I did for the Secret Santa activity.

I don't like to "toot my own horn". But I have made a lot of improvement and it is all from advice that I had received from the same people that are replying to your thread.

One of the most meaningful pieces of advice was from PixelPileDriver who encouraged me to redesign my drawings at least 10 different times, and trust me that is hard to do, it really is. So I understand your frustration at entertaining the possibility of completely redrawing your mecha. But understand this, the advice you've received didn't just come from snobby art school graduates that have their noses stuck up in the air. No, many of the people here are artists and gamers, meaning that they are your potential audience. The data/feedback they give you, as a developer, is pivotal in the success of your game. Especially when it comes from individuals whom as freelance artists and game design hobbists have worked for companies that have put games into production; They understand the standards of the industry.

Fuck it, I am done here...it's easier to learn the hard way.

This is the hard way! Because so much of the advice you receive here does call you to make some major revisions. It is far easier to ignore the advice here and go off on your own than it is to watch multiple people rip your hard work to shreds with their critique. But I promise you this not a single person here intended that you should leave the forum. Nor was their intent to attack you as an individual.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:52:37 pm by lachrymose »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 02:12:06 am
If you don't want people to rebel against you don't act like a dictator when they choose not to listen to you.

How far are you going to take this?
Let's just stop.. If you want to keep lashing out at me specifically, just send a PM.

And you can run away instead of facing your problems, but that won't help you in the long run.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 04:58:43 pm
I don't think he is coming back.

Which has caused me to feel a weird emotion.
I think this is the first time I've been able to supply good advice that I could argue to a point, and even have it backed up with a decent edit.
Kinda feels awkward to have it all walk away, while I look at the edit on my screen.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:49 pm
If i may,
I'm new to this community and i don't know how things usually go here, since it's mostly a friendly atmosphere from what i've seen. From an outside perspective i felt like everyone is treating eachother, especially the op, with a lot of respect and good advice while trying to be understanding of his opinions and goals for his work. I'd personally welcome and gladly except each critique provided by such a welcoming community. It's a shame it turned out into a heated discussion, and i'm amazed that everyone remained calm and argued levelheaded as this is fairly uncommon in the cyberwebs.

Lachrymose: i thought your edits could have been a great inspiration for him if he would have been more open minded.

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: February 07, 2015, 08:02:53 pm
I'd personally welcome and gladly except each critique

thats a big thing, a lot of people that critique personally and feel insulted when they get it

i myself have an issue with getting critique sometimes, if theres too much negative it makes me just wanna stop doing what im doing
i try to ignore and push past that, but most people will always give in to the negative instead of trying to work through and improve

it sucks too cuz i've been really loving watching this topic and how much improvement has happened here