AuthorTopic: King Arthur's Gold  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: King Arthur's Gold

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
Didn't Camus design a lot of those?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 03:56:09 pm
Didn't Camus design a lot of those?

Our ones? Looks like snake did the majority of the "normal" ones: http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=4294.msg55039#msg55039
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:24:18 pm
I'm pretty sure smileys have been made in all geometric shapes and colors, so how would one even make original smileys?
I mean even these smileys take features from the original smiley, like the color and being a face..
And the expressions on these smileys are pretty unique, which IMO is the most original factor, but those weren't the thing that was copied.

So I can't see this as a rip-off at all..
Unless people aren't allowed to make square smileys because we already have them here..

For reference:

:) ;D :( :'( ??? :huh: ;) :D :mean: ::) >:( :o :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :ouch: :crazy: :hehe: :lol: :n: :y: :yell: :blind:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:34:37 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 02:34:28 pm
Seiseki, look at the colour palette of both the Pixelation smileys and King Arthur's Gold's smileys.
It's the exact same colour combination just with slightly higher contrast and lower gamma correction.
Here's a picture:

(KAG on the left, Pixelation in the middle, and the edited Pixelation one on the right [edited in GraphicsGale to: contrast  30, gamma correction  0.814])
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 03:23:16 pm
Is it really a big deal?  How many of us have used Arne's/DB's palette?  This one isn't even doing them any favours, the orange AA is ruining it. 

edit:  Sorry - read that back and didn't mean to sound so rude, I actually just mean we'll all be better off to be a little less protective, and relax our grip on ownership a tiny bit.   :y:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:44:56 pm by rikfuzz »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 12:35:12 am
Interesting, I didn't know he the same palette..

So what if he wanted to make something that looked like the smileys here, copied one and used the palette..
At least he did his own version of it and I don't think it's that bad..
Sure he could have made his own palette.. Sure he could have made them round or any other shape..

But in the end all smileys are derivative anyways..

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:38:30 am by Seiseki »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:36 am
I thought color stealing was not breaking decorum in the pixel art community. I mean I get that they copied the idea and all, idk I'm kind of in the middle on this one.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:42 am
I agree that they look similar, and that they use the same style, but they are obviously not copying, and who really cares if they use the same basic style, we can all agree that that style is really cool. Geti is a reputable artist and I don't see anyone being in the wrong here. People use other people's style for many numbers of things. In fact, many artists are hired solely to copy the style of another artist.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:31 pm
Is it really a big deal?  How many of us have used Arne's/DB's palette?  This one isn't even doing them any favours, the orange AA is ruining it. 

edit:  Sorry - read that back and didn't mean to sound so rude, I actually just mean we'll all be better off to be a little less protective, and relax our grip on ownership a tiny bit.   :y:

I'm going to assume that reply was towards me, mostly. ???
I really don't know how many of us used Arne's/DB's palette; I personally don't recall using anyone else's palette ever outside of PJ challenges and activities, where the whole point was to use the given palette. But I would never use someone else's colour palette for a game I'm making (unless that's what I was asked for), let alone a palette that isn't that great.

I don't really mind for it at all, just pointed out that the colour palette is nearly the exact same palette used for the smileys here; no hard feelings towards whoever made this.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 08:53:19 pm
I thought color stealing was not breaking decorum in the pixel art community. I mean I get that they copied the idea and all, idk I'm kind of in the middle on this one.

I never bought into the idea of palettes being something you should credit anyone for. I've never 'stolen' a palette, but then again, I really wouldn't care or mind of someone picked a few colors from an image of mine, whatever.

It really seems to me a neurotic preoccupation to guard the building blocks of how one makes something like that, as if they're meaningful in themselves. It's just colors, geez.