AuthorTopic: Help with Cave tileset for platformer [C&C][WIP]  (Read 15401 times)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Re: Help with Cave tileset for platformer [C&C][WIP]

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:52 am
Alright, so I went a head and tweaked my entire tileset and toned down the colors a bit for them as well, while also using the new character colors you posted above. Here is the result:

I like how the tiles look now, but things seem a bit... thin now. Although, I might decide on using dynamic lights for this game so the number of viewable rocks on the floor, ceiling and walls might not be an issue.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 05:30:42 am
 :) You really don't want your terrain to take more attention than your sprite(typically).
Thin may be good for this case.  Your terrain is already 60% of the mockup and the other terrain in the background fills almost the rest.  If you go much "thicker", your terrain may pull too much away from the action.

Are you running off of a 2x zoom or anything?  That might help a lot to bring the attention squarely onto the subject and it will also make the tiles feel much more fleshy up close.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 07:38:55 am
:) You really don't want your terrain to take more attention than your sprite(typically).
Thin may be good for this case.  Your terrain is already 60% of the mockup and the other terrain in the background fills almost the rest.  If you go much "thicker", your terrain may pull too much away from the action.

Are you running off of a 2x zoom or anything?  That might help a lot to bring the attention squarely onto the subject and it will also make the tiles feel much more fleshy up close.
Yup! I'll be running this at 2x. And you're right, the terrain being a bit thinner does help pull more attention to the character over all. Thanks for pointing that out, been looking at these tiles for so long it's hard to see them in a different light  :blind:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 11:58:25 am
try simple adding 2 or 3 different patches of dark rocks and scatter them around within the dark void.
also add a variation where the platform blends further into the darkness using say 2 tiles wide (dont need to fill tiles to their edges).
little things like this will add alot since ur repeating small tiles across a larger canvas.