AuthorTopic: MTD Sprites  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Re: Some Rock Tiles

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:55:12 am
Right now let's focus on the outlines.  I'm trying to take this with a grain of salt as I go, I plan on making this the main tile.

I'll repost tomorrow with an appropriate palette from a nice SNES rock palette, or at least use it as a starting point.

I need a professional opinion on how to make the tile less noticeable when looped for the ground to walk on.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:58:15 am by Zintendo »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:46 am
Its better for everyone (including you) if you reuse your previous thread for the same project rather than starting a bunch of separate threads.

1) Repeated tiles 9 times. Placed the Star Demon sprite on for reference.
2) Desaturated the nasty green colour out and removed all the ugly gradients.
3) Balanced the values. Keeping contrast low as is the general rule with backgrounds.
4) Added some various subtle hues. Keeping saturation low (lower than sprites anyway) as is the general rule with backgrounds.

Tiling is fine anyway but lined up like this you can easily tweak anything you want.
Your tile size is 32px, probably makes more sense that this is 4x16px tiles.
Anyway now you have a usable background tile. Not the prettiest thing in the world but at least it doesn't induce vomiting.

Right now let's focus on the outlines.
Don't discount advice just because it doesn't relate directly to your question.
We should all be wanting to absorb as much knowledge from each other as possible.

the Sun is pretty much overhead at all times
Consider offsetting your sun to the left (which I prefer) or right by say 45 degrees so you can define forms by rendering rather than everything appearing flat.
Refer to the Star Demon's rendering.

Do the rocks need to be more consistently sized?
No, you have a pretty good balance.
Too consistent and its boring.
Too inconsistent and the pattern will be too obvious when tiled.

The guide I was following said to black out a bunch of areas between the rocks, because rocks are not evenly spaced, but I chose not to for whatever reason.
There's endless ways to do it.
Next time you design some tiles, consider giving your ground tiles lines a prominently horizontal feel.
And go for vertical lines for vertical surfaces like walls.
This is one trick to help define surfaces.

I'm afraid to add the dithering in the bottom left, because like I said, I'm on the fence about where to go with color pallette (I'm opting for as few colors as possible, although not sticking to 16 or 256)
It would be useful if you could answer my previous question on getting some details about your color blindness.
You should check out this link below, but my advice is not to get caught up in dithering at this stage.
Limit your colours but I really think you should get more practice in and make a bunch more usable tiles rather than worrying about dithering and anti-aliasing or your just going to go around in circles.
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=1025.0

I plan on making this the main tile.
Don't fill the screen with one tile.
I think you should move on immediately and make 2 or 3 variation tiles (e.g. in some parts there are like shallow holes in the ground rather than every rock popping up).
You should consider some other surfaces like grass and/or dirt, and the various transition tiles including 45 degree angles, corners etc.
Try working on a mockup in the res of your game and draft in some other stuff such as rocks to place around the screen.
Don't spend forever on each thing, just block it in to get it started and repost.
This is the quickest way to make some progress rather than getting too caught up in trying to perfect 1 tile then realising much later that you wasted heaps of time...

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:24 pm
Right now let's focus on the outlines.  I'm trying to take this with a grain of salt as I go, I plan on making this the main tile.

I'll repost tomorrow with an appropriate palette from a nice SNES rock palette, or at least use it as a starting point.

I need a professional opinion on how to make the tile less noticeable when looped for the ground to walk on.
Well it wouldn't really make sense to try to create a texture without first choosing a pallet or at least having a general idea for the textures. You chose a really saturated green to start your texture off of and whatever youll do will reflect the colors you chose. It makes no sense. So first figure out what color you want your texture to be, choose a midtone and fill the 32x32 texture with this, then bright the brightness down, increase or decrease the saturation depending on what you want, and change the hue to reflect a darker shadow (or in this case outline of your rocks). Don not make this one smooth line, you have to break it up from point to point with the midtone, otherwise the textxure will look dull and flat. Then take a bright unsaturated highlight and start placing specks on the upper left corners (least to most from bottom left to upper left, then most to least from upper left to upper right). This should give you a basic rock structure that's flat. I would demonstrate but I can't till later tonight.

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Re: MTD Sprites

Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:44 pm

I took your advice to heart.  Thanks for re-priortizing me, (Colors are important as ****) it's why I come here! 

I also added a darker shade, and may have ruined the outlines a bit by adding a nearly black line to some of the outline, inconsistently.  Oh well, better than before... right?

-thanks

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:38:22 pm
I don't know if it's a wall or a bottom texture.
What I see is that you could work on your understanding of form.

You are using 6 colors for your texture, but you don't describe anything with it - for this example I am just using 3 colors (midtone, light and shadow) - that's how you should start.

First let's take a look how it works in nature

as you can see every stone in there has a unique shape.
this shape is intersected into different planes (red wireframe)
The brightness of those planes changes with how they are hit by light.
All planes which are directly in light are bright, all planes which aren't hit by light are the shadow planes.
In the example the light is coming from the upper left side and the shadow is in the lower right.

Once you understood this concept you can apply it to all your drawings, textures as well as scenery. Bottoms usually tend to be flat, while walls can provide a lot of form (since nobody have to walk on them).

1) your texture desaturated
2) your texture reduced to 3 colors
(I used a fourth color for the bottom, just to bring in some additional depth)

Just using outlines won't help - you will end up with a very cluttered result. Lines are the solid fundament, although in a lot of cases you won't see them in a final artwork.

Look here how outlines affect the form:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:50:00 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 12:44:17 am
Thank you for your advice.regarding the differences between pixel izing top and bottom features.   :y:

I can see my stones have unique shapes.  I started with midtones and light, but because I shaded darks in later, I should restart?  Your saying to start with lights, midtones, and darks. I  don't want to work on big boulders, I want to know what's wrong with my tile.  So please, aim your artillery directly at my rocks; tell me how to fix them while keeping the 6 color palette, I'd rather fix this bad boy then scrap it for some photorealistic boulders. 

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 09:56:08 am
It doesn't matter how you start. You can start with the shadow, with the midtone or with the light, that won't change the result if you understood how light works.
In your texture every stone has it's own lightsource (the red arrows are showing the direction).
On top to the wonky shading every stone is very small and you don't have the chance to work out the form.

You also should try to understand what we all want to say you, there is much good advice in this thread - but if you don't think about it, it won't help you.

That you want to do a texture is perfectly clear to me, I used the big boulders to show you the approach.
The only difference between the boulders and the texture is, that the texture repeats, that's all, all other things are the same.
If you don't know the approach how to solve your problems nothing will help you. Even if we'd explain all things step by step and you would try to copy it you won't learn anything.

6 colors might be too much for your current level of understanding.
Textures with multiple forms are hard to do if you struggle with shading a single form.
If you are redoing things it will get easier with every try.
Sometimes starting over is quicker than editing something which has too many problems

How to fix your rocks:
1 ) clear your mind
2 ) look closely at the 3 other examples i posted and also read through all other comments
3 ) try to understand how light&shadow & outlines works and feel
4 ) once you think you understood it open your graphics program
5 ) pick two gray colors
6 ) make your rocks as big as possible while hiding the grid as much as possible (small rocks won't add more detail, it will just add more clutter)
7 ) start with your 2 colors (2 are enough for the first step, details can be added later)
8 ) now get the basic shapes done (if you want to start with lines, do your lines and fill them that the result looks the same)
9 ) add light (3rd color) regarding to the observations of the third step)
10 ) now you can start adding more colors (also regarding to your observations of the third step)

I went with a wall tile, to force you to find your own solution for the ground tile through observation.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:29:52 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 10:59:13 am
I  don't want to work on big boulders, I want to know what's wrong with my tile.  So please, aim your artillery directly at my rocks; tell me how to fix them while keeping the 6 color palette, I'd rather fix this bad boy then scrap it for some photorealistic boulders.
Dude really??
1) Nothing to do with photorealism.
2) Your missing the point.

Cyangmou is a highly skilled artist so you should pay closer attention to everything he says (I've attached myself to his head like a leech extracting knowledge :crazy:).

^
4 shades there and already there's a nice ground texture forming.
You could simply try to draw something similar to what he does and you will end up with something better than what you have now.

Starting with 6 colours is actually detrimental.
Start with less and only add when really its beneficial, ur stuff will come out looking better if u do.

I keep coming back to these really awesome tiles by Vierbit:

For rock, brick and grass there's a total of 5 colours each.
And the dirt only uses the 5th colour at the edge of the grass.
Adding more shades of the same colour and singular light source would take away from the beauty of this artwork.

I thought from the start some of this would be over your head which is why I suggested you start roughing out a whole scene.
With more elements in the picture, more shapes, more lights, shadows and textures, you are more likely to understand how it all cant fit together rather than being trapped forever inside one 32px square.
I'm not saying to move PAST this, but by saying to do a bit more at once as it will help you with this tile too.

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:20 pm
Thanks for rewording your instructions with a heavier reference to my tile throughout.  It Sparks more neural circuitry;and quite honestly I feel like I finally have a real foothold with making realistic art.  I'll see what I can do, making a 550x400px scenery  with a corrected source of light.

...I had no idea the red arrows would be that off!   :o I feel like I bit off more than I can chew, & see the importance of starting with 3 basic tones.

Sorry for being a pill