AuthorTopic: 8 Frame Walking Animation - First Time!  (Read 9196 times)

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: 8 Frame Walking Animation - First Time!

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 06:03:43 am

Quick update! Does he look better or worse with a neck? I am not sure how realistic to take this, so I'm going to hold off on additional skin shadows for now... I can't help but think with the lack of a third skin tone he looks a little more like Final Fantasy Tactics' sprites, & I'm trying to go for that kind of look. Is his face too baby faced? I need a semi realistic, stylized face but everything I do makes him look too old and realistic.

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:58:24 am
The neck helps but cut the head bob back some. The concept of rendering a nose seems to be an eternal challenge for pixel artists but its always going to have that babyface look without it. To get an implied nose try breaking up the symmetry of the shadow under his eyes, make it look more like shading and less like a crease in his face.

Are you intending to make a template here or a character?
There is a lot of character to put on a face, for example I added the nose in that edit, and also widened the mouth a bit and that changed the character of it a lot.
If its a template I would just leave a space for a nose and not think about it too much. That way if you were to make characters out of it it kind of forces you to think about that space and make it distinct each time.

The legs still look a little chubby, especially around the calves on the back of the step. Taper those down, and make them get smaller on the back of the step to give it some depth. Also his right leg and foot seem to be pointing inward. I would point both of the feet away from the body a bit more and that should look a lot more natural.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:49 pm
This has been mentioned before, but his walk is very feminine. If you want a more "masculine" walk (whatever that means):

- Decrease the lateral movement in the shoulders and hips
- Make his legs extend outwards instead of inwards during the forward phase (can't let his penis get squashed!)
- And make his arms bend at the elbows during the forward phase (as you have it now, the arms are just rotating around the body without actually bending at the elbows.)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:12:00 pm by Mush »

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:40 am

Thank you everyone for the critiques and helpful websites, they've helped me a ton. :] I've decided to leave the face alone for now. Still not sure if I want to add skin highlights..

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:19 pm

Going to call this one done! Learned a lot, now it's time to move on and use what I've learned on new pieces.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:00:50 am by breakfast »