AuthorTopic: i need some help with tree making.  (Read 5153 times)

Offline samkiwas

• View Profile

i need some help with tree making.

on: July 29, 2013, 04:18:03 am
hey guys i am new to the forum. i need some help with making trees they are annoying bec i can never get them to look like trees. sorry guy i did not know how to post the pic on here. any advice on them plz feel free.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:50:53 pm by Facet »

Offline samkiwas

• View Profile

Re: i need some help with tree making.

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:29:59 am
also it is for a Naruto pvp game i'm working on

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:09 am
Well, hah...
Anything I could say would not fit on what you are looking for, there are so many ways to make trees and all them are valid, so consider that. If you need references you can search on pixeljoint or on this forum, there are thousands, millions maybe. Billions not.

You can make the foliage leaf by leaf or all in one, and there also are so much ways to pixelate that foliage. I like the leaf-by-leaf option when it's suposed to be a big leaves tree, where you can pixel all one by one without spending too much time.

In opposite way you can efficiently pixel all the folliage playing with shadows.

The 'sane' combination of both techniques usually is the best option.

Back on your tries, they are too plane: they need more detail and shadows. Looking the type of tree you did, I would recomend something like that:

Beware also your pallete, this last example was 22 colors and it's enough. Your trees need to be indexed on a better pallete, they have too many colors. Edit: Ah well sorry it's because it is in jpg, I didn't see that. Use always png or gif.

Oh I forgot about that. This is my favourite pixelart, and it has a big tree:
http://kawaiihannah.deviantart.com/art/Tonari-no-Totoro-350642231
Look how the shadows are.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:55:28 am by Hideon »

Offline samkiwas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:19 am
thx!

Offline samkiwas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:07:54 am
also one more thing when i start out with shading then go to my shapes it looks strange.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:16:23 pm
I fixed your pic: look for the direct link (with a file extension) and put it in tags to show up inline. Try cropping it to fit next time too; the empty space makes it a bit awkward to navigate. You can edit your previous posts instead of making a string of additions.

Have a read of the important stuff (including image hosting guidelines, FAQs and rules) linked at the top of the page here :y:.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:20:11 pm by Facet »

Offline samkiwas

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:10 pm
thx

Offline malifer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:09:49 pm
Well, hah...
Anything I could say would not fit on what you are looking for, there are so many ways to make trees and all them are valid, so consider that. If you need references you can search on pixeljoint or on this forum, there are thousands, millions maybe. Billions not.

You can make the foliage leaf by leaf or all in one, and there also are so much ways to pixelate that foliage. I like the leaf-by-leaf option when it's suposed to be a big leaves tree, where you can pixel all one by one without spending too much time.

In opposite way you can efficiently pixel all the folliage playing with shadows.

The 'sane' combination of both techniques usually is the best option.

Back on your tries, they are too plane: they need more detail and shadows. Looking the type of tree you did, I would recomend something like that:

Beware also your pallete, this last example was 22 colors and it's enough. Your trees need to be indexed on a better pallete, they have too many colors. Edit: Ah well sorry it's because it is in jpg, I didn't see that. Use always png or gif.

Oh I forgot about that. This is my favourite pixelart, and it has a big tree:
http://kawaiihannah.deviantart.com/art/Tonari-no-Totoro-350642231
Look how the shadows are.

that first set of trees the one tree with the blue and green leaves looks really cool. i wouldnt think of blue to use as a leave but it looks good imho.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:48 am
Well, hah...

From my perspective not all approaches to trees are valid because it depends on what we need the tree for.

If this is a Naruto game, it may be wise to create trees that reasonably match the ones you find in the actual anime/manga
 I believe the WIP trees will look very strange because the mangaka from Naruto probably did his homework to know to draw trees fairly realistically in his medium where the WIP trees are basically the classic green-blob-on-a-stick ahortcut. (If not, I would be surprised)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 06:42:49 pm
Whoa, I made the tree with the blue and green leaves three years ago. Funny to see it turn up here!