AuthorTopic: *looks around* are we still here? (server switch)  (Read 9542 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

*looks around* are we still here? (server switch)

on: June 20, 2006, 06:29:56 pm
EDIT:

Ok so after a short delay, it appears we got the forum successfully switched. please PM a mod if you see anything extremely different than what youd expect or recognize.

Once again i apologize for the down service, we should be up and running smoothly now for a good amount of time.

please note that PAO homesite and other associated sites should be up and online within the next day or so.

-st0ven

Hey Fellow Pixellers,

Some time over the next 72 hours, pixelopolis will be switching to a new server. I do not expect this to change much of the activity flow on the boards, but there might be an interim of a few hours downtime for the forums.

With this switch, we will ensure that this fine community will have a home for the upcoming years and hopefully longer.

-st0ven
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:17:05 am by st0ven »

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Re: [notification] host change

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:58:46 pm
maybe a new skin?
alexander

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Re: *looks around* are we still here? (server switch)

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:57:35 pm
that would be delightful, this place has been the same for about a year now, it's quite boring... >.>

even something small would be nice
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:44:06 am
Nice to see that PP's still alive and kicking. Next time, a small page with some text indicating maintenance operations would be a nice touch, so that we don't think "OH NOES HAXXORED AGAIN DAMN KIDIES".

Keep up the good work, admins 'n mods (i dunno who y'all are, but you do ;))

Offline jverkoey

• Exploring large-scale pixel art :)
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:27:41 am
So...why weren't we told over at the 72 hour GDC site that this was happening?  It would have been really nice to know that the site would be taken down.

But, you know, I guess just taking it down without informing us and making us worry the hell out of ourselves thinking we lost the entire site works fine too.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 03:31:00 am
For the first 5 hours or so there was a message when you went to pixelopolis that said "we are switching to a new server".  Didn't anyone else see it?  IDK, I just want to give props to the admins & mods, because they're doing an awesome job.

Offline jverkoey

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:34:57 am
Well, it's hard to see a notice when a) we aren't pixelopolis and therefore don't visit it often and b) when I checked today, the entire site was missing and just displaying a general hosting solution page.

I don't know about you, but if someone gave me a car to use as a kind gesture, I would be quite shocked if one day I woke up and my car wasn't in my driveway anymore.  Maybe you would be fine with that, but personally I would be a tiny bit pissed off.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:49:30 am
You need to take a deep breath.  Pixelopolis is back, we're all in one piece, so what are you so angry about?  At least you could have taken the time when the forum was down to read a good book or go outside.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 05:54:56 am
It would've been nice for some to have received a board e-mail about this, although it's quite understandable that it did not happen.

It's just unlucky for you that you visited this place not when the warning was posted but when the server was down. That's just coincidence.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline jverkoey

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 12:05:04 pm
That would be all fine and dandy, but I'm not a frequenter of pixelopolis.  Our site is the 72 Hour GDC (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/72/board/) which, until last night, was entirely nonexistent.  And now we don't even know if the databases are going to be restored correctly or not, or when.  At this point we have about 100 users who are waiting for a game development competition (which starts voting in less than 2 weeks) who now think that the competition site is broken.  Definitely not a good first impression for anyone new to the competition.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:07:06 pm by jverkoey »