AuthorTopic: GR#128 - Battlescar - Sideview Gameart & Animation  (Read 55166 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer WIP [C+C please]

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:59 am
Ahhh! Green hills!  :y: ;D

-
Ok, an 8 frame running animation - I cannot resist... The running frames are very dynamic, really great. But now, I would like to increase his step length again, that's too short. Also, I made the bouncing stronger by 1 pixel. I could probably tweak it a bit more, but I am out of time for today. (raw edit on the legs)
Hey thanks. I was conciously trying not to make the leg stick out because I did it too far last time.
On this version I was also initially influenced by this animation by st0ven http://www.spriteart.com/art/gallery/pixel/Batman__run.gif , but found it to be leaning a bit too much forward to fit in.
So I was doing this one with basically no reference after I'd been studying at a bunch of videos and animations.

Anyway how's this one?

I made a bunch of little tweaks this time but I can't help the feeling that he appears to be "prancing" a bit like a ballerina.
Does he give off that appearance to you guys? maybe he's a bit too pointy toed??
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:44:36 am by Decroded »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:19 am
isn't he missing a frame with the rear leg fully extended (at least compared to that batman reference) ?

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:08 pm
you could imply more weight when his foot hits the ground.  heres a quick edit

sorry its a strip though, not sure of anyway to make a gif that isnt a big hassle.  the frames are 100x120 pixels though.

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:46 pm
Here's a gif of r1k's edit. ASEPRITE can easily make a gif of a strip with its import sprite sheet feature. Just put in the dimensions of the individual frames, and it's done.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:45:27 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 06:40:19 am
thanks Kasumi, I ussually use Gamemaker to test animations and such, but the gifs it exports dont loop, so I used to have to save each frame of the animation as a seperate file to make gifs which was annoying.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 07:19:38 am
I do think that animation is too tippytoey. r1k's edit is a step in the right direction, certainly.

But I wanted to talk about the original sprite.

There's something wrong, I think, when you take away a whole layer of brightness and a sprite immediately reads better as a physical entity:

I think you're overhighlighting. I do not know what lighting conditions would lead to surfaces that have sacrificed almost all of their middle hue space for highlights, but it would take a lot of light and a lot of reflective surface. Which the sword might be, but clothing and leather really shouldn't. Highlights work best as small accentuations of edges.

Here I did a lot of scultping and editing, I would urge you to go in with your pixel program and study the differences side by side.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02:46 pm
you could imply more weight when his foot hits the ground.

Hey thanks, how's this look?

I tried to convey more weight on the landing frame and tried to make less tippy-toed.
I also adjusted the hair a bit but I'm still not happy, thinking about redoing it so it sticks back more and just waves instead of dropping onto the shoulders every time.

I think you're overhighlighting.
Here I did a lot of scultping and editing, I would urge you to go in with your pixel program and study the differences side by side.
Thanks alot, your input is always valuable.
I really struggle with form and lighting so I'll spend some time studying your edit (trying to understand HOW!) and see how I go.

I've also started detailing the tree from the base and working up.
Will probably add some bunches but more sparingly than the rough sketch.

Worried that it looks really out of place sitting on a rock like that. Maybe I need to add some plants or something :-/
Resisting the temptation to make the tree's colours more vibrant too since i don't want it to interfere with the sprite layer.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 08:59:51 pm
- -
I would maybe try to move the leg a bit more to the front when it hits the ground, otherwise the momentum is somehow lost. Excellent otherwise. I also tried to add the shield, that would work, but the front arm moves a bit too much to grab the sword. Yes?

He could also put the sword away before he starts running. But then you would need a walking animation with sword.

Any plans for the game, so far? Hack & Slay? Action-Adventure?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 01:50:41 am
Hey thanks, i also tweaked the back foot when he is about to push off to be less back to try to smooth out the distance the foot is moving, though I want to keep the emphasis on the push.

And here I've pushed him forward and drop back to try to emphasize more.

Too much?

Plans for the game...aiming to make it a little more open world and quest based rather than a completely linear hack n slash.
Just got to find the balance between story driven and replaying areas to achieve side quests etc.
Suggestions welcome ;)

Also since he is basically a rogue fighter with no real magic ability, there is a magical creature (like a faery, haven't designed it yet) that teams up with you to help in the main quest, and this is where the spells will come from.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:52:47 am by Decroded »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 03:01:13 am
Heya, Decorded, I'd like to congratulate you on the new run! It's much better than the first one.

You've got all of the right motion in your run, I just feel like it's a little bit disjointed. It just needs some more polish. Most of this would be intuition. Study what happens when you run yourself. See what it is your body is doing, and really focus on the key points in your motion. Find out where your highest point is, and lowest point. That's usually a good place to start for key frames in a running animation. Everything beyond that kinda builds on the key frames, and I'm sure you could figure the rest out on your own.

Here's a little edit to illustrate:

While all of the motion should mesh well, it's important to remember that each joint or point of motion is partially independent. The hips pull the knee which pulls the ankle for example—that really affects how all of a person's limbs will move through each frame. Make sure those points of motion make sense. It's extremely rare to have motion not go in a nice, swooshy, fluid line.
Yours:

Mine:

Obviously, mine has its fair share of problems, but I hope that it'll give you a good idea of where I'd go with this. Oh, and I'd recommend not adding the horizontal head movement. It just makes it look strained and more choppy when it's actually in game.

Remember, you've got all of the motions down really nicely; it's just a matter of going in and tweaking things.