AuthorTopic: GR#141 - Journey to Hammerdale - Zelda like Game  (Read 51194 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: Please help with western gates please (zelda-like perspective)

Reply #70 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:32 pm
block works well.

It could recycle those spikes, that draws attention.
It could have the keylock on the top so that one doesn't try and walk on the tile just under the block.

Oh, good idea! And it's much more logical! But on the other hand, the block is more visual than the spikes, it's easier to put the focus of gamer on it. Also, we will use spikes as trap.

Quote from: ptoing
Btw, I hope you will change those double pixel dither shadows on the trees, they look really clashy. The trees in general stick out a bit.
Quote from: winged doom
Still can't find time to fix it. :D

Come on, seriously? They stick out so much. Don't make me fix them for you!  :yell:

Haha, yes, seriously! Most of my time I work with the gameplay, maps creation, preparation of necessary graphics and other routine. By the end of day I so tired that couldn't bring myself to do anything (and then I start draw NES mockups! :D).
I'll fix shadow then will cut a tree on a branches that will sway like on wind. =)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Terrible waterfall animation, brrr.. Need your fresh look

Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:06 pm
So, here it is:

Bored with this stuff and need your fresh look, guys. Animation of waterfall looks dirty, ragged and not aesthetically.  :mean: Will be grateful for good advices and good references.

I made it dark and muted because it's just a decoration. Don't want to distract player from puzzle places on left side of location:

(Wip, I have to remade a lot of this pic.)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Terrible waterfall animation, brrr.. Need your fresh look

Reply #72 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:16 am
I think the main issue is that it does not really have a direction esp in the darker part. The blocks of shading just jump up and down. I would suggest either for more pronounced downward movement or a kinda shimmering up down highlight thing in certrain areas.

The top where you actually pixelled stuff out works, the rest, not so much.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #73 on: October 11, 2013, 07:18:06 am
Thanks for advice, ptoing! I'll try first variant, because can imagine how it might look.  :hehe:

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:25 am
I got to sit down at a waterfall garden one day. Lemme scribble down what I observed...

A waterfall, I've noticed starts calm and orderly on the top but it gets more chaotic as gravity and water's cohesion property starts doing stuff.

The cohesion property bunches the water up into sections since water wants to bunch up into itself, not stretch itself apart. Waterfalls will also be narrower on the bottom than on the top.

The gaps in between these sections gets bigger as gravity stretches them farther apart and as the cohestion property pulls water together.

Water won't split up perfectly into these clearly identifiable sections but starting at waterfalls, but looking at them paying attention to the 'big picture' lead me to notice that there are visible 'waves' in waterfalls.

Of course, my notes from staring at waterfalls and not from still photos that may be useful as well.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re:

Reply #75 on: October 13, 2013, 05:25:10 pm
Pix3M, thanx for advice! I'll try it next time, because left the idea to fix this animation. I had a several failed attempts then I realized that the main problem is that it's a game. I can't even saturate it with details because it distracted player from dominants on this location - current puzzle (primary) and npc (secondary).
So, now this thread is just my game pixels dump  :P

Guess that it's time to finish with this stuff, final version:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:31:44 pm by winged doom »