AuthorTopic: Very small game character  (Read 22843 times)

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Very small game character

Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:45 pm
funny, actually that is exactly the picture I used as a reference :-)

Here are the individual frames to better see whats going on:

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:15 pm
Where's the carpet python in your work?

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:30 pm
I really like the way he walks now with the gun pointed out.  The stride gives him some character, and it doesn't look wrong.

Offline timeatscookies

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 01:11:46 am
While animating I realized that the upper body of my little character is kinda long compared to his legs.
This might partially due to the fact that the jacket covers some of the hip area (you can see this only in the front frame) but still I felt I needed to try to cut his upper body by one pixel.
Now I really cannot decide which one works better, I'm thankful for any input.

Original:

Modified shorter torso:

I honestly like the shorter torso version better. I think it looks a tiny bit more accurate anatomy-wise.

In the aim walk animation I think his arm should be kept at a level maybe, because he is pointing a gun to shoot at something. Think of a modern tank where the cannon's barrel movement is relatively independent of the tank's up and down movement. You wouldn't want your arm bouncing around while keeping your eye down the sights of your pistol. But then again, he's aiming from the hip, so it might not be kept as level compared to aiming with the pistol aligned with the eye. Which btw, it might look nice if he did aim with it like that.

You're definitely doing a great job animating such tiny sprites lol. I don't think I could do that. Looking forward to mo' sprites!

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:08:05 am
While animating I realized that the upper body of my little character is kinda long compared to his legs.
This might partially due to the fact that the jacket covers some of the hip area (you can see this only in the front frame) but still I felt I needed to try to cut his upper body by one pixel.
Now I really cannot decide which one works better, I'm thankful for any input.

Original:

Modified shorter torso:

I honestly like the shorter torso version better. I think it looks a tiny bit more accurate anatomy-wise.

In the aim walk animation I think his arm should be kept at a level maybe, because he is pointing a gun to shoot at something. Think of a modern tank where the cannon's barrel movement is relatively independent of the tank's up and down movement. You wouldn't want your arm bouncing around while keeping your eye down the sights of your pistol. But then again, he's aiming from the hip, so it might not be kept as level compared to aiming with the pistol aligned with the eye. Which btw, it might look nice if he did aim with it like that.

You're definitely doing a great job animating such tiny sprites lol. I don't think I could do that. Looking forward to mo' sprites!

Damn. I kinda already settled with the longer torso version - I feel the short torso, while anatomically more correct, makes him look like a kid. Also the intial spark for my doubt, the walking animation, works just fine in a way that when he starts walking, his upper body shortens since he leans forwards a bit. Now I am in doubt again, so thanks for that  ;)

Concerning the "shooting from the hip" I tend to agree. I also kinda dislike how this looks like (like a noob shooting a gun) and I'll probably revisit these frames and raise his arm up a bit.

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:00 am
Where's the carpet python in your work?

totally don't get that one..... ?  ???

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 09:21:19 am
The snake from your ref picture, I guess :)
IMO the long torso is fine, it goes very well with the jacket. What really matters is that the leg stay consistent for all animations.

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:00 am
The snake from your ref picture, I guess :)
IMO the long torso is fine, it goes very well with the jacket. What really matters is that the leg stay consistent for all animations.

Aaaaahhhhh!  :D

Do you feel the legs are not consistent? Can you point out any inconsistencies?

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:20 pm
Oh no I didn't see anything wrong so far. Pixellisation involves approximation anyway, and takes into account the volume of saggy clothes etc. The proportions of thighs and knees (vs the rest) are only really apparent when the character bends his legs sharply, anyway. There was recently a thread where a girl's body (vertical) proportions were discussed, and it made me realize that tall people don't have long legs, compared to their overall height.

Offline timeatscookies

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:13 pm
The longer torso version totally works also. I just slightly preferred the shorter one, but I see what you mean about making him look like a kid. To me, both versions are completely acceptable and I was just nit-picking. And sorry to return any doubt to you about the animation :P. I don't want to discourage you in any way, because your work thus far is looking great.

About the way he's holding the gun; I think as long as he isn't prepared to take steady aim to really shoot something, he's alright with walking with it from the hip. However, in my opinion, if he were to walk with it at the hip I would expect his arm to be a bit lower with his upper arm almost straight and the lower arm bent at about 90 degrees (like an L shape). I think that's just because of the way I interpret this character. That could just be me; it may look funky if you actually tried that.

Oh, and if you do decide to make him take aim in a more proper manner (IE: both hands on the grip with the pistola centered in front of the dominant eye) you might could use this as a reference. Just thought it might help ;). Keep it up dude, it's going great!