AuthorTopic: people...  (Read 9411 times)

Offline cdi

• -= well now... =-
    • View Profile
    • Omnimaga

people...

on: April 08, 2006, 01:33:12 pm
look all through http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1089.0 and http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1925&PN=1 and tell me where I said that I DIDN'T rip this, true I did sit in front of my TV with "Streets of Rage 2" for a few hours on end with a piece of GP (no computer at home, only library comps, luckly they have PhotoShop Elements 2.0) copying the pixels I saw. I never said this wasn't a rip, or that I wasn't intending to give credit where credit was due (as soon as I could find the credits for SoR2 and it's pixelarists) It's nice that you all jump to very very bad conclusions though... Nice to know that people here and at pixeljoint tend to be mean people that won't even wait for an explanation, or even reasoning first... And for the red outline, it WAS a picture of a wrestler (Max is a wrestler) I thought I was being clear, but I am bad with words no? Well, there you go, nice fun stuff huh? (as for full explanations of thoughts/actions upon these events you can PM me because it's long, drawn out, and I don't feel like telling everyone in a community I'm not into trusting fully anymore)
BASIC flames are for n00bs... you don't want to be a n00b do you?
Welcome Home

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Re: people...

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:19:26 pm
Would you like some cheese with your whine sir?

Someone forgot to include this one...

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=707.450

You claimed that you spent weeks on this and it took you a couple of tries to get right, yet it was quickly discovered that you simply altered the colours round from an existed sprite someone else created. You didn't say "Hey, here's a sprite I made based off such and such", no you just claimed it was all your own work.  No one likes blatent plagiarism and the topic above shows you blatently ripping off someone elses work and claiming it as your own. If you're wondering where the hostility came from, look no further. Mind you, you blamed your cousin, or was it your brother... Hang on, let me just check... Nope it was your friend, so even if that's true you were ripping off a friend by saying "This took me weeks to do" because as you say, your friend supposedly did it, well ripped it...

Damn, that's a nice hole...

Anyway no one will hate you for using references, infact you'd be incouraged to do so. End of the day you should have posted the original piece you used as a reference, especially if you used segments from it as you did in the wrestler case. It would be far easier if you explained what you did, rather than making bullshit excuses up and passing the book onto others when you get caught out.

End of the day you got caught out, deal with it and learn from it. Create your own work, even if it it's an edit, say so and post the original and then get crits and help, that's the sole purpose of this place, not to get "OMFG U R TEH PIXELS ART MASTERZ!!1!!". Otherwise anything you post infuture people are going to think "Did he really do this?"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:30:55 pm by Esker »

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:30:22 pm
Stop making silly threads like this and start pixelling. I'm sure people will forgive you if you just show that you can make something on your own and put some effort in it. If you want to do edit of others work, then do so but don't post them here.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Seven

• ._.'
    • View Profile
    • Virtuosis

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:31:02 pm
Don't blame people who sounded "mean" with you for your own mistakes. Yes, your mistakes. If you were to explain or clarify people something, the most reasonable time to do it would be on your first post. It seems very suspicious for someone to show their ripped "works" and say nothing about it; there is a difference between saying "Hi, this is some of my work, I'm a beginner so I still just make edits" and saying "Hi, this is my work, C+C". And I really doubt you forgot to say it was ripped =P

And if you think the level of comments is too harsh here, then you've got to go to another community. I'm serious. There are plenty of forums and discussion boards where sprite edits are welcome.

Edit: And Esker has just posted before me =P

Offline cdi

• -= well now... =-
    • View Profile
    • Omnimaga

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:35:05 pm
@Esker - That one I had already explained. And I would've posted my refrence but I assumed that the SoR2 sprites where well known and people would have seen it and known that I was using them as a base.

@Seven -  And I assumed it'd be understood that I was a "beginner"....
Welcome Home

Offline Seven

• ._.'
    • View Profile
    • Virtuosis

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 02:39:52 pm
See, you should really read posts carefully... :

Quote from: Esker
You didn't say "Hey, here's a sprite I made based off such and such", no you just claimed it was all your own work.
Quote from: Seven
It seems very suspicious for someone to show their ripped "works" and say nothing about it

And the best one:

Quote from: Mr. Modem
Stop making silly threads like this and start pixelling.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:52:48 pm by Seven »

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 02:44:24 pm
He's doing the old "It's everybody elses fault but mine" routine.

I seriously think he should consider a career in politics. From what I've seen he'd be well suited to it. He ignores the main gist of what was said to answer something irrelevant, he blames everyone else and he claims things as his own when they are not.

Seriously he has all the qualities right there.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:47:27 pm by Esker »

Offline cdi

• -= well now... =-
    • View Profile
    • Omnimaga

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 02:47:24 pm
I'm not saying it's not MY fault, it is. I'm just saying I took too many liberties with how much I guessed others could deduce by themselves... Maybe I shold just go back to coding and PA in GS for calcs... seems to suit me better, and I don't have to explain everything...
Welcome Home

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 04:21:43 pm
Psst, we're not buying it.  Furthermore, most of us could give a flip if you did it or not.  The argument from you seems to be "I didn't rip, i did XYZ" while we're telling you "XYZ - citing reference = ripping".  It's pretty simple.

From one human being to another, I strongly suggest you put it behind you and start making original pixels.  I fail to see how dragging it up in the general forum of all places is going to help... we really don't buy into forum soapboxing and drama here.  We have people here that were caught ripping as beginners and are now constructive forum members.  It happens, nobody's branding you for life.  If you decide to get over it and get into the groove with us, then cool, welcome aboard.  If you decide to keep whining about your bruised ego until we believe you, then go away.

We aren't mean, we're really awesome, helpful people and I'd take a bullet for everyone here at once.  We're good to most of our newbies because most of us have been here for years, and were brand new when we joined.  The major difference between you and most of our newbies? You ripped.  Repeatedly.  End of story.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 04:23:23 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 05:11:30 pm
From the mod squad I am probably the one who is most fervently against art theft and ripping and I want to keep it as far away from this forum as possible. My first impulse is to lock this, add another strike to your record and wait patiently until you rip again before having you banned. This is because it's been empyrically the case that people who rip very rarely go back to doing their own art if they're caught. But maybe you'll be different, so I'll play nice.

Recognize these facts, though:

It's not our fault we didn't just assume you ripped from Streets of Rage. It's your fault not mentioning it. Citing inspiration, influences and reference in the first post is customary on almost all the art fora on the net.

The words we need to see come out of you are 'I apologize for the ripping AND the resulting internet drama, I promise to not do it again.'

Even then, if you do remain around here and start doing your own work, it'll be a while before other people start trusting you and treating you as they treat other members. But it'll get there eventually, because the people on this forum are nice.

Lastly, you don't HAVE to do pixel art. If your ambition reaches as far as ripping and editing, then it's maybe clear you could do that in your own private space, not ask for critique and go on your merry life with this unorthodox hobby. Here come people who desire to become better than they are and they understand the hard work involved. Think about this. Maybe it IS better to go back to programming or whatever else you're doing there.