AuthorTopic: Too ambitious?  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Too ambitious?

on: April 01, 2010, 10:31:32 am
So basically, I'm making a Flash sidescroller game. With 95% or so pixel art.
It's going to be in AS3 (of which I know none), and I am still  a newb at pixel art. I want to make it,
but when I compare myself to "the greats" like Fool, and a few others, I just think wow I suck.

I need some help deciding whether or not this is a good idea to continue.

Pros:
• It's a great learning experience
• By the time I'm done I'll know AS3 at an advanced level
• Seeing my vision come to life would be fantastic
• It may be possible to learn enough to complete it

Cons:
• I am not currently good enough
• It's hard work
• I might be kidding myself with the whole idea that I have a chance of completing it.

The thing is, I don't know how long it would take for me to become good enough to make quality pixel art.

Should I
A) Persevere and work through the hard slog, learning as I go along, and creating my dream? After all, it might not take long to get good at PA, with enough practice.
Or
B) Should I give up and realise that it would take me years to become good at pixel art? It's far too unrealistic to hope for.

How long does it take to get to a decent level at pixel art? Is there such a thing as "too ambitious", as long as you have dedication? Do we all learn in the process of making something, which means that every task is a good one?
Thanks.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Too ambitious?

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:08 am
If the scope of the project is huge you might want to start with a few simpler test games until you have the handle of how the engine you devise works and so on. Better to reach an equivalent level in coding in AS3 that to your skill as a pixel artist before you start.

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:27:03 am
Anxiety to get better at doing things is nonsensical. The whole point of learning a new skill is, well, learning it. You're basically saying "I suck now, so why ever learn anything?". Be careful with self-fulfilling prophecies and just dig right into it.

What you should do is avoid thinking you're only going to create anything worthwhile if you are amazing at it. Don't be afraid to start small and do sucky things. Start fooling around with ActionScript now, along with some simpler pixel art. Try making some easy games (cloning some old arcade games is a good start), so you get used to the basics of game development in that platform.

There are a couple of great pixel-based game engines for Flash around (Flixel and FlashPunk) that will help you get things started. Using existing tools to help you is perfectly OK, and it can be a great form of motivation to see your pixel art in motion, however simple they are.

Most importantly, don't worry about becoming a great pixel art or programmer. You just need to focus on being a better one, and you'll inevitably improve. And don't compare your learning curve with others, because it's not really fair and might give you the wrong impression about your development. The thing is, you can't really judge if it's all worth the while unless you give it a try, so just try.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:30:12 am by 1ucas »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:11:00 pm
For the record, Shrub, I attempted something similar (minus the scripting part) and failed. I'm not saying decrease your ambition. But do embark on a more realistic project first. There's more to it than you probably realize.

Don't do it. While it's a great dream, it's almost a guaranteed failure.

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:09:34 pm
For the record, Shrub, I attempted something similar (minus the scripting part) and failed. I'm not saying decrease your ambition. But do embark on a more realistic project first. There's more to it than you probably realize.

Don't do it. While it's a great dream, it's almost a guaranteed failure.

:'(

At the moment I'm having trouble with the first tile (rocky ground), and that's kinda bad.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can work on another project - I've planned out this game practically head to toe, and I feel no desire to do any project other than the one I'm focused on. Anything else wouldn't be worth the effort, at least that's what I think at the moment.
I think that's ADHD or something.
We'll see how it goes. I'll keep trying with the graphics, and attempt a simple Flixel/FlashPunk game if I find myself wanting to try something simpler.
Infact, I might just try one of those now.

All of you have made good points, and although I'm struggling already, this is one big learning experience for me.
I'll devote my efforts to learning PA and AS3 through various ways, yet focused on my one goal of (ultimately) creating the game. If that makes sense.

A hybrid of your suggestions.

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:12:57 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think I can work on another project - I've planned out this game practically head to toe

This is why I recommend you to start with cloning some existing games. It's a good learning experience and you don't need to plan much, the mechanics and gameplay are already well known.

Mathias is right, if you start with a huge project you're probably going to fail, so don't waste the good project now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:17:08 pm by 1ucas »

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:25 am
Unfortunately, I don't think I can work on another project - I've planned out this game practically head to toe

This is why I recommend you to start with cloning some existing games. It's a good learning experience and you don't need to plan much, the mechanics and gameplay are already well known.

Mathias is right, if you start with a huge project you're probably going to fail, so don't waste the good project now.

Good point. I'll get a bit of experience first.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:57:30 pm
For heaven's sake, just have fun! :P

Don't make a to do list and a plan for your first game. You worked out a cool idea in your head? Good, now go program it. Or make the graphics. Don't overthink it, don't go get some experience on dull games you don't really want to make.

Life and accomplishing things is all about jumping into the deep end.

Have fun first, then learn how to do it properly. You can't learn it first, so you can have fun later, that'll totally kill your drive.

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:44:24 pm
For heaven's sake, just have fun! :P

Don't make a to do list and a plan for your first game. You worked out a cool idea in your head? Good, now go program it. Or make the graphics. Don't overthink it, don't go get some experience on dull games you don't really want to make.

Life and accomplishing things is all about jumping into the deep end.

Have fun first, then learn how to do it properly. You can't learn it first, so you can have fun later, that'll totally kill your drive.

Awesome! There's such a diverse range of people on this site. It's great to hear different opinions.
Now I'm gonna go follow your advice and see where it takes me.
Rock on!
:y::lol:

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:35:22 pm
Mathias is probably right that you'll fail, but so what? Just try man, then maybe you'll succeed eventually. On the subject of games, people often say start with a small project, but I disagree. I say just follow your vision, whatever it is. If it is too ambitious then that will become apparent sooner or later, and you'll have learned a lot about the feasibility of projects, plus whatever skills you picked up trying. If it isn't too ambitious, then you may just finish the project! Better to fail at something you want then succeed at something you don't want, in my opinion.

Also, it is hard to develop a skill (though probably more efficient) if you're focusing on developing it. It is way easier to get good at something if the learning is just a result of working towards your overall goal, just something you have to do to keep moving. That's why I say just go for your project you're excited about, cloning other games will teach you a lot but to be honest it's boring.

You seem pretty excited about this, so what's the hold up? Not like if it doesn't work out then the idea is ruined forever. Quit over thinking it.