AuthorTopic: Would this be considered bad practice?  (Read 7560 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Would this be considered bad practice?

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:38 am
I think pixeljoint may not take this but I really dont think Pixelation will have an issue, just look at the low spec forum and Howard's topic...we're aware that the whole world isnt solely dedicated to pixelart and that's fine, really. I think it's a great way to study movements of the basic solids.

Personally the biggest issue I take with 3D software in general is how frames are just evenly spaced and they never play with using frame spacing to create anticipation...I think you've played with the differences of pixelart and 3D already, you could also try looking at what it looks like when removing some of the frames.

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:14:54 am
Personally the biggest issue I take with 3D software in general is how frames are just evenly spaced and they never play with using frame spacing to create anticipation...I think you've played with the differences of pixelart and 3D already, you could also try looking at what it looks like when removing some of the frames.

I also hate evenly spaced animation, and I cringe whenever I see any linear interpolation of movements. That's why I always use something else. I'm very fond of this little normalized equation to map the [0,1] interval into a basic slow in-out movement (actually, half a sine curve): sinē x*pi/2. Looks very natural, since it's basically half of a harmonic motion.

If you check the source code, you'll notice that I'm already avoiding that rigid rotation with something similar:  rotate 360*y*(clock+pow(sin(clock*pi/2),2))/2

This looks like this (red line):

But you know, removing a few frames might make it look more interesting, and it'll probably help me finish it sooner. I'll give it a shot.

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:52 am
This definately springs to mind when reading this topic:
http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

I hate how in the build up to it's release so many people kept saying KOF XII's art was completely hand draw when technically it isn't - but the approach itself I found quite interesting & even clever.

personally I don't think I'd consider it cheating, a time saver perphaps but it hardly removes any need for some major skill on the artists part.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:09:23 am by Vercingetorix »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 03:32:56 pm
I really think it's a pretty simple answer. To me, if the process in which it was done is pretty transparent, and artist isn't taking credit for someone else's art, it's ok. In this case, these type of tools can make whatever they want, however complicated they want, but the main point is in the end, does it truly have all the needed traits for great quality pixel art(or the media/style of art in question), and was it all done by the artist him or herself. When dealing with submissions, these are the things that are most important to me. I never much liked when artists used existing works, edited them, and called it their own; I think that is what most artists can't stand, whether it pertains to their favorite type of media, or not.
my back hurts...

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:51 pm
This definately springs to mind when reading this topic:
http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

I hate how in the build up to it's release so many people kept saying KOF XII's art was completely hand draw when technically it isn't - but the approach itself I found quite interesting & even clever.

personally I don't think I'd consider it cheating, a time saver perphaps but it hardly removes any need for some major skill on the artists part.

Gah I really don't like the finished result!!  If they just stopped when only a few colors were applied I think it would look better.  As they are in the final version there is banding everywhere!!

On the original topic, I would love to get into making animations by using a 3D model as a base.  I have a good eye for what looks cool and right but my actual skills with the pencil don't translate.