AuthorTopic: [WIP] Yggdrasil  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Yggdrasil

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:02:17 pm
The piece seems way off balance -- the left side seems to be leaning. I agree about the clouds needing to be redone, though I can't really say how.

Offline RadiationGloves.Drugs

• All praise the holy Flying Spaghetti Monster
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:48:47 pm
To me the clouds look like a giant mountain. I'd break them up a little bit. Also, there's
That squirell which is called Ratatosk runs up and down the ash and carries malicious words between the eagle and Nídhögg
Iamaminimalist.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:23 pm
I disagree with virtually all the crits so far personally... I think the background is good, just is still WIP obviously. Once it is fully rendered I think it will be perfect.

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite pieces.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:29 pm
I retain my previous comment - I think secondary lighting from, well, below-ish is in order! With all the blue light reflected from the clouds and sky, the leaves oughta be lit by them - try painting some of the leaves lit from below by blue light, just try. If it looks good then my point stands, if it looks like shit then my idea is bad. But do try!
' _ '

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:36:03 am
Wow, guys! So much excellent critique in this topic! I've gotten opinions on the clouds saying they're fine as are and need to be detailed, and I've had opinions saying to take them a whole different direction!

I really like Tuna's idea for the clouds as an alternate; that would probably center the design more on the tree, I suppose.

Jad, your idea of a reflection of blue light upon the leaves is also a good idea to try; I implemented it a tad at the bottom of the tree, but I'm assuming you'd like me to carry that out further?

RGD, there's actually a really small squirrel on the side of the tree, it's just not noticable thanks to the statue. I'll probably end up moving him somewhere else! :)

Dusty, I'll see if I can properly fix the balance issue- thanks!

Manupix, great ideas! Wilder colors, you say? That might work; it'd be interesting if some of you would try some of your color combinations on it. I'd love to see what you all would think as "wild, yet unified colors," and what colors would fit.

Tom, thanks, man! :) Sure thing!

snakesqzns, thanks for all the critique! It's very useful. The roots are actually supposed to be a mirror of another tree, though!

Tuna - thanks for both posts, they're very helpful. I'll try and render the focal point better, in any case! :)

I'm still looking for opinions on the clouds; edits, examples, ideas, anything that you'd like to discuss! Thanks so far, everyone! I'll hopefully get around to fixing these things this weekend.

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 02:43:30 am
Yes, the roots mirror the tree.  I brought it up because your roots are *much* more massive than the actual tree.