AuthorTopic: GR#018 - R0x Zero - Artwork, Logo & Tiles  (Read 23531 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: R0x Zero(wip)

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 08:54:20 pm
Yes this game is in development and will be released at the sundown demoparty later this yeah,
well that is the plan at least ;).
And yeah, it is a sequel to the first rox. But I wasn´t involved with that.

@Elk
I also feared that a bit that the sprites could get lost in there, but after seeing a very basic build of the game I can say that isn´t
the case.

@Lazycow
No new monitor, but apparently I got the contrast right this time :P.

@twodayslate
Hm really? Actually we will probably only use the 2nd one, the first takes too much room on the titlescreen.

-
Currently working on some other graphics for this game, so I plan to update this topic as soon as possible.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 08:31:03 am

Is that the player's ship ? If so, I find it a bit too "squary" compared to the title screen. It might be worth to adjust shapes to make it more interesting / sexy to look at. The big grey "belt" in the middle, especially, is killing its features.

All the rest is just stunning quality. My wishes fly with you at the demoparty.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:44 am
This is absolutely lovely stuff but I have to ask, do you really need the grid showing up SO hard, even on the black areas? What's the thinking there?

Offline Kælaar

• A life without Creativity is a life wasted.
    • View Profile
    • Kælaars Artstuffz

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:15 am
Personally i think the grid in a game like this really suits it, on the main level anyways, as for the black im not so sure.
Great stuff though let us know when its out =P

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:31 am
Awesome! But I agree with Helm, the grid's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the mockup.

Also the shadows seem a tiny bit inconsistent, looks longer on the orange thing to me because the trim is unshadowed on the blue walls:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:14:32 am by EyeCraft »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 02:03:28 am
This is absolutely lovely stuff but I have to ask, do you really need the grid showing up SO hard, even on the black areas? What's the thinking there?

I was going to write (essentially) this same thought myself, but then i read the comments, and saw it, and was like....there ya go!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Heavy Stylus

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 11:21:52 pm
Hey! Oh noes! News of our secret project has been leaked! :D

To help fill the gaps, the menu will look something like the following animated gif (although with a starfield in the main window).

With that little blinking cursor in the right hand panel displaying info:

I've no objection to Vierbit sharing his excellent work, but if anyone here is active in the atari scene, I'd really appreciate this being kept quiet.  We want it to be a big surprise when it is released ;)

Target machine is 2-4MB Atari STE with three-button controller.  There will be a Windows double-click and ready-to-go emulator version like we had with our previous game.  Oh, and to set the record straight, this is actually a prequel to r0x - anyone who has played the other game will know that you always die in the end, so a sequel would have been a bit difficult :)

At the moment Vierbit has several more bits for this ongoing, including a parallax scrolling cutscene (a la Cannon Fodder on the Amiga).  The main coder and I both feel that Vierbit is the secret third Bitmap Brother and are proud to have him involved - so rest assured this will not be vapourware ;)

For reference, these are the early (half ripped and modified, half drawn by me) placeholder tiles we were using, and on which he based his far superior tileset so as not to completely destroy the integrity of the 150-screen map:

(Ah, just re-read the rules here... Just a note to advise that Vierbit used the reference tiles as just that - a reference.  The source of my ripped ones were from Uridium 2, downgraded to 16 colours and modified by me as placeholders while we worked on the game engine as a proof of concept.  He completely redrew all of them, and the end result was far, far better than I could have ever managed!)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:52:35 pm by Heavy Stylus »

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:20 pm
So here is the scrolling background Stylus was talking about.

The BG is sliced up into four parts, each moving at a different speed to give the illusion of parallax scrolling. Using the same palette
as the tileset and sprites for consistency sake.
-

I also updated the title screen a bit.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:13 am
Hello,

I've no objection to Vierbit sharing his excellent work, but if anyone here is active in the atari scene, I'd really appreciate this being kept quiet.  We want it to be a big surprise when it is released ;)

Saying this in an public internet forum is....humhum... very peculiar ?  ;D ;D

Anyway you ruined the surprise for me  :'(

But it looks very promising and its always nice to have STE features - will you push the hardware a bit ? (or even 4-bit ??)

Consider my lips sealed  :-X

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:33 am
The new title screen pops better but I find the two purples irksome. The dark orange buffered much better.