on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:01 am
Here is a mock up I made last night.

obviously influenced by Mother 3

Offline Kreator1990

• View Profile
    • Emberstorm Games

Re: Mock up

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:57 am
I like your choice of palette! Although simple, it looks good. Reminds me of SNES Games such as Super Mario Bros.

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:17 am
i'm getting some perspective issues with the ground, although i like it, at first i thought the style was beat-em-up, like final fight or battletoads.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Masna

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:38 am
JaJitsu, I'm glad you joined these forums!  It's Masna, from TIGs.  Expect a lot of great feedback here.
I like the scene, but it could use a little bit more love.
It's totally up to you, but the sign look a little weird to me.  I made a sloppy edit, but I was thinking something a little more like this.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:48:47 am

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:12:15 am
This has a lot of charm, and actually reminds me a lot of Kenneth's work. However, what it's lacking is the fine-tuning that pixel art offers, like AA. Also, it suffers from things like banding under the grass. Also what I noticed is that things like your sign are using very rough and messy lineart. Cleaning them up and trying to use simpler lines and shapes(IE straight, diagonal or 'isometric' lines) will help your piece a lot, and make the clean-up a lot easier as you spend less time trying to compensate for jagged lines with AA and such. Since your work makes me think of Kenneth, you might want to look at his gallery and maybe see if you can learn anything from it: http://pixeljoint.com/p/1451.htm

There might also be some contrast issues, but some might find it appealing. I did a small edit with AA and cleaner lines, but I have to go, so things could probably be better refined.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:14:46 am by Dusty »

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:09 am
thanks for the feed back :]

i thought it would be weird to till your head to read the sign. It would probably make more sense to put the arrow on the bottom and have it point straight >>

nice to see you Masna  ;D

[just seeing dusty's post]

looks great! I don't like to AA much but i did a bit on the clouds.

[edit]

here is another shot at the sign. added some bolts to hold it up

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:08:55 am by JaJitsu »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:28 am
Well some might say straight black outlines with no AA can be a stylistic choice, however if you do maintain that direction you should still fix the banding going on with the grass.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:25 am
I spot banding all over the grass, which is a bit of a pity.
The ladder needs to have its volume better defined. Imho, this is the part of the picture where pure-black outlines is the most troublesome.

Anyway, nice style.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:39 am
Since your mock up uses such a simple and delightful style, I didn't quite mind that the sign was just standing in front of the pole al all! In fact, the bolts kind of takes some of the delightful simplicity out (cute straps, instead of cold sharp nails?).
If anything, I would say the plaque is a bit huge if compared with other "equipment" such as the stair.

I love the "mossy" and fluffy grass!

Like Dusty, by looking at this piece, I also thought of Kenneth Fejer (♥) and some of the Eyemaze's (also ♥) stuff, more specifically Dwarf Complete (dunno why, exactly).