AuthorTopic: [WIP] Hunter girl  (Read 12848 times)

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Hunter girl

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 03:47:17 am
I roughly scratched out another idea for a background to add more depth and interest.  I know the horizon line is at her eye level.  Is there something wrong with that?  I have her on her own layer so I can move her around a little.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 06:19:40 pm
A slutty woods girl that knows how to shoot a rifle, and still manages to remember the lipstick every morning. Surely there have been many times others have tried to take advantage of her, but ended up with the short stick. If I were in her shoes, I'd have a don't-trust-nobody-just-shoot-them attitude, I'd have an ice cold heart, and I think I'd have a perpetual scowl to ward off any offenders that didn't run at the sight of my heat; her face can say a lot more than her stance, and I think it could use some extra expression.

Right now your character has a lot of noise, and not too much priority. If you look at your piece, you'll notice that the brightest brights and darkest darks are scattered all over the girl, and actually make her look flatter than if you had only used them sparingly and in places that need the most attention. Take her dress for example, her breasts are just as light as her shoulders and hips, and my eyes get really confused when I look at them because the shadow indicates that they should be protruding from her frame, but the highlight (or lack of) says that they're on the same plane as her waste, hips, and shoulders. Her hair also looks a little bit like dread locks because each strand is sharing the same about of light and shadow. I think if you used your highlights and deep shadows only where you thought the absolute most extreme lighting was apparent, and where you wanted the viewer's eyes to go, it would look much better.

As for your background, I think it would be smart to increase the size of the canvas since right now everything is kinda squished together.

Here's a quick edit to illustrate what I'm saying;

Also, take time to block in the basic values (like sculpting the basic shape of a clay figurine) before you start with the details because it will save you a billion headaches and hours of redrawing in the end.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:22:15 pm by Kcilc »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 08:33:35 pm
Also, take time to block in the basic values (like sculpting the basic shape of a clay figurine) before you start with the details because it will save you a billion headaches and hours of redrawing in the end.

This is something I need to work on. That's actually what I did on the last background edit.  I will work on that some more.  I'm sure they teach that in art school, which I never attended, so I need practice on that. 

Anyway, love the edit.  Love the story   ;D 

Well, back to the drawing board...literally   :ouch:

Offline TheOne

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 10:42:02 am
i suggest simplify the backdrop. A hat and cloak will make her look more intimidating:

Pay attention to hand size and position of fingers.

Examples of good highlander portraits:

http://www.fife.50megs.com/clan-images.htm