AuthorTopic: First pixel piece  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

First pixel piece

on: March 07, 2006, 06:17:25 am
Hello all, I am not new here, but I am fairly new to pixel art. I used to do horrible interpretations, and now am getting back into pixelling, and I hope to improve my skills a lot more. This piece is based off of Kazuya's platform tiles tutorial. I think it turned out pretty well, for a nooby :P C & C please.

Oh, and I know it is almost exact to Kazuya's piece, but I can't do lineart very well....
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: First pixel piece

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:47:25 am
Hey Krizmo, this isn't a bad start at all.  In my opinion, imitating others so closely is a good way to find your groundings and to get a feel for pixel art when you're beginning.  Imitating others is never a bad idea, I think, because it helps you see how an artist thinks.  But, what's most important about imitating is that you don't learn just how an artist uses a certain technique in one instance, but that you learn how to apply that technique to any instance that would require it or could use it. 

A few things about this tileset:

-The blue sky seems awfully saturated, I think it could be tone down to be easier on the eye.

-The grid on the ground tile is very obvious, particularly because there are straight lines mixed in with the curved rocks.

-The grass doesn't seem to overhang on the dirt.  Try putting dark dirt pixels right underneath the grass to make it pop out.

And now, to use what you learned from the video to create other tiles...

The cloud is original, but you seemed to have had problems when making it.  I prefer when clouds are drawn flat at the bottom and billowy at the top, but that's not always necessary as you wouldn't actually see a cloud from a side on view like that... and cartoony all around billowy clouds will also suffice.  But yours don't seem to have much thought into how they are formed... try rethinking how clouds form, look up references (both real photos and pixeled) and try to not just randomly squiggle lines through white blobs.  I've always found clouds tricky, though.

I'd like to see you try some more original tiles, too.  If you can't think of anything, just try simple stuff like bushes, mushrooms, tombstones, what have you, or even just different takes on making the same types of tiles that you made here.

I hope to see more from you!

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Re: First pixel piece

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:55:52 am
Thanks Darien.

Yeah, the blue sky I was a bit shaky on, I vhanged it back and forth a few times, and then I just decided to go with that one. I didn't see that in the tiles, I shall ave to change that around. I also forgot to add some other more interesting tiles into those ones to break up the monotony of the tiling..... will have to change that.
The cloud was done pretty quickly, I just thought I would make it somewhat my own by adding in a little something that I created. I will add more detail to it now.

I am going to go off and maybe make some more basic mockups and tiles, that is always fun :P
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....