AuthorTopic: COLOR PALETTES (updated 10-20-2009)  (Read 13189 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Re: COLOR PALETTES (updated 10-20-2009)

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:35 pm
Bump, since I updated the main post with new content.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:06:39 pm
Nice collection though I think you have the CPC palette looking a bit random.
Makes more sense when arranged like this

That's the palette arrangement I use when making all my CPC stuff (am gonna do some more today for my CPC style game actually).

Your one has the midvalue number at 128 and mine's at 127 but that really doesn't matter as long as it's consistent within the pixel piece or game.  Some of the CPC emulators use vastly different number for some reason making a lot of the colors much darker than need be which aren't like that on my real working CPC.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:23 pm
Nice collection though I think you have the CPC palette looking a bit random.
Makes more sense when arranged like this

That's the palette arrangement I use when making all my CPC stuff (am gonna do some more today for my CPC style game actually).

Your one has the midvalue number at 128 and mine's at 127 but that really doesn't matter as long as it's consistent within the pixel piece or game.  Some of the CPC emulators use vastly different number for some reason making a lot of the colors much darker than need be which aren't like that on my real working CPC.

Thanks. Oh, that CPC one I grabbed it off google since I never used a CPC emulator... that one as well these four palettes (NES, GB, C64) I grabbed them off google since there really was no way for me to get them through emulators. The one you pasted looks cooler as you said in the arrangement. Btw you're wolverine right?

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:06 pm
Yeah.  Was Wolverine.  Still am on Pixel Joint cos they can't change names but everywhere else I used I've reverted back to this name I had many years ago.   Makes things easier.  Am more well known in most areas of the internet than the Transformers character Carnivac (whos name I took and yet even some fans of various Transformers continuities don't even know of him that well if at all, hell even Google shows my site as the first result of that name) but no one with the name Wolverine online is more famous than the comic book character.  Makes it easier for people who might need to find my stuff for some reason.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:29:15 am
Yeah.  Was Wolverine.  Still am on Pixel Joint cos they can't change names but everywhere else I used I've reverted back to this name I had many years ago.   Makes things easier.  Am more well known in most areas of the internet than the Transformers character Carnivac (whos name I took and yet even some fans of various Transformers continuities don't even know of him that well if at all, hell even Google shows my site as the first result of that name) but no one with the name Wolverine online is more famous than the comic book character.  Makes it easier for people who might need to find my stuff for some reason.

Ahh I see. I use Antifarea, lucky for me there isn't anything else named that other than Antifa, which is an organization. ::)
I'm a transformers fan too. I only like the movies (from michael bay) and the two of the old sagas from the 80s (Masterforce & Victory).

By the way, there are more palettes here, including the EGA, EGA16, etc...
http://pixelparadise.forumotion.com/tutoriais-f8/a-grande-lista-de-paletas-t314.htm

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:22:08 am
Yeah I'm only into the live action movies (and their related comics) and the old 80's Marvel comics particularly the ones made in the UK which had artists that inspired me to draw in the first place.  Not a fan of any of the cartoons ('cept the old 1986 animated movie and the occasional well written episode of Beast Wars despite it's ugly CGI) and especially loathe the most recent one.

I get why palettes for different machines are useful.  Particularly when trying to capture the feel of a particular computer or console or preparing graphics to actually be put on one of those machines but I'm not sure why palettes from games are useful.  Some of them seem so large I'd just pick my own colors anyways.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 03:45:14 pm
I get why palettes for different machines are useful.  Particularly when trying to capture the feel of a particular computer or console or preparing graphics to actually be put on one of those machines but I'm not sure why palettes from games are useful.  Some of them seem so large I'd just pick my own colors anyways.

For most games, there isn't much of a point unless you don't even have your own palette if you know what I mean... but in some cases, some palettes are really cool... I have my own palette I made, but I rarely use it after I got my hands on some of these palettes. For me personally, I use the Namco vs Capcom palette... the colors are awesome, they are well chosen of course, and the tone is right where I want it to be... also the Disgaea 2 palette is really nice, with a very soft tone. So it's different despite many colors look the same. Just like most EGA, C64, NES, etc palettes give an specific feel, some of these palettes do the same, but in a different way. :D

I have learned a lot by just ripping the colors off the sprites, not only about colors, but how they are used in the sprites, etc... in my case I like to do it also for that... and well, there aren't really any full / almost full palettes out there for people to use.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:45:16 pm
I just converted these all to 8bit 16x16 pngs, since that's more globally usable (ie. virtually anywhere, not even needing a competent paint program). If you want to include them in your package, pm me with your email address and I'll pass them along.

A full palette that I made: http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Master_Palette (the one on the left). It's fairly carefully tuned so that crossing ramps works well and it works well across a wide range of image types.

I really recommend keeping on making your own palettes even if you think these game ones are awesome, so you know how to tune palettes and build them from a few to many colors.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:32 am
I just converted these all to 8bit 16x16 pngs, since that's more globally usable (ie. virtually anywhere, not even needing a competent paint program). If you want to include them in your package, pm me with your email address and I'll pass them along.

A full palette that I made: http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Master_Palette (the one on the left). It's fairly carefully tuned so that crossing ramps works well and it works well across a wide range of image types.

I really recommend keeping on making your own palettes even if you think these game ones are awesome, so you know how to tune palettes and build them from a few to many colors.

Yeah, I have one I was developing but it's imcomplete and I haven't really bothered to go back and work on it... I agree though. I for now want to master using one palette, which is the Namco vs Capcom one, which I make all my pixel work with so far... I just want to make sure I can make all combinations possible for best colors used in my pieces, based on those colors... months later as I keep getting better at PA I will start a brand new one... I have a couple more palettes that I'm going to be ripping, some of them that are from awesome games like suikoden II, King of Fighters, and other ones I feel people might be needing at this moment.

The palette looks interesting, the one you made, I read the wikipedia stuff.