AuthorTopic: Cave Story wip  (Read 7160 times)

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Cave Story wip

on: May 03, 2009, 02:19:41 pm

Currently working on a tribute to cave story, it is my first low poly piece, and I am using to better learn the workings of blender. I might later make a animation out of it to gain experience in that area, for no though I need to finish mapping the legs  and the gun plus add another character to the scene , plus add more detail and better antialiasing to the texture map.

Looking for any advice or feedback.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:04:26 pm by nw15062 »

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Re: Cave Story wip

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:18:45 pm
Nice.  Balrog looks great.  The robot (I always forget his name...) looks good, too, but his face feels different from the game and he's got some texture warping on the legs and arms.  You can probably fix the warping by just adding some verts to the joints to keep that chunk of the mesh from deforming too much.  Really low-res stuff like this can sometimes benefit from a few extra verts if it can help keep it looking good when it animates, and sometimes to save a lot of texture space.  If you have a large chunk like the arms or legs here that are all one color, you can scale those down to 1 pixel and get the same results.

Good stuff.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49:05 pm
I think the gun could go back a bit.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:57:51 pm
Thanks for the feed back, I will play with the guns placement, it is mostly a place holder, I have not finished it by a long shot so it is currently one solid color. I noticed the legs and hand distortion, I have lots of work left to do the the UV map in  regards to detail. I want to add more shades of color to the legs. and figure out a way to modify the hands to look more accurate.

Again thanks for the feedback and I hope to hear more.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:59:00 pm
Here is the current version with some fixes suggested. I fixed the hair, and face while removing a few poly's and then modified the gloves to be more like the original characters glove style, moved the guns placement, still need to play with the mapping for the legs.