AuthorTopic: Dump of recent stuff  (Read 5758 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Dump of recent stuff

on: February 22, 2009, 02:09:50 pm
For those who do not frequent PJ.

2 pictures for a recent PJ weekly

progress anim

progress anim

Something that I had lying around for ages and finished recently

progress anim

Collab with mia, he did the main work on the initial lineart doodle

progress anim

All of these are finished, I might make edits to the 2 big ones depending.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Dump of recent stuff

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:41:15 pm
Great dump, ptoing! No wonder the robot pic took this long. Really bad for all those "non-indexed colors program" users who miss all the great stuff in this pic. Your collab with miascugh is probably one of my favorites so far, amazing colors! Thanks for sharing, your stuff is always very inspiring!

The only crit I have is for the two pinky-challenge pieces. I know they are finished, but for the future it's maybe interesting. While watching the progress animations there is a point where I think you are overdoing the details. While in the beginning the images are quite clear (in form and 3D-space), they are getting flat and noisy in the end imho. Maybe it's a matter of taste and I don't know what impression you intended, thus giving you an advice is a bit difficult. Maybe you should keep some surfaces clean to let them be read more easily? Or maybe have more focus in the picture through having more details in one place and lesser in others? I hope this makes sense.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:57:18 pm
Really enjoyed looking at these and your work in general. The only thing that looks off to me is the propeller on the plane, the perspective just doesn`t seem to sit well with the perspective of the wings in my opinion. Otherwise, top stuff, a combination of great colour sense and skill in execution.

Jason.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:28:55 am
Man these are so great, I could look at these for days! It blows my mind to think of how much detail is in that robot picture. Very inspirational.

In the dent on the robots head the shading looks a bit strange because it has the same shape 3 times in a row. Just something my eye kept catching on.

Great stuff man, always a treat to see new stuff.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:41:02 am
Nice stuff.

Progression animations are interesting to watch also.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:22:38 am
It's interesting to see how two very similar final products(the first two pieces) were accomplished with two very, very different ways. What's the story behind that?

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:19:20 pm
Very nice stuff!
I think I first saw the giant robot picture a couple of years ago and I'm just glad you finished it. I love it. You have a strange thing going on there, though: the buildings on the front are just silhouettes, whereas those on the back have details! Maybe this is needed to provide contrast for the people/cars in the foreground?

saimo

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31:13 pm
Amazing work, I really love the two bots.  Question:  What program are you using for those, and it looks like every line you draw is mirrored.  How do you accomplish this?  That would be immensely handy, for time's sake and for efficiency.  Would that be promotion?  Please, anyone, let me know if GG has such a feature.

Heh, whenever I see your work I turn right back into the little newb I always was.  Dammit, you make me want to pixel now.

Shrike

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 04:00:44 pm
Cheers for the replies everyone.  :)

In regards to the big robot pic: I actually might try and touch up some stuff, which would include trying to add some windows to the forground houses and such. We'll see :)

It's interesting to see how two very similar final products(the first two pieces) were accomplished with two very, very different ways. What's the story behind that?

Nothing in particular. I made the dino looking one first, but had no real idea what to do, so I did that rorschach kinda thing for inspiration. The monkey was a logical counterpart to do.

Question:  What program are you using for those, and it looks like every line you draw is mirrored.  How do you accomplish this?  That would be immensely handy, for time's sake and for efficiency.  Would that be promotion?  Please, anyone, let me know if GG has such a feature.

I use Promotion, handy stuff :) No clue if GG has this tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:21:11 pm
Aw, shucks.

Well.
I have the PM trial, how do I do the mirrored thingy?
Only if it's no trouble  :P

Shrike