AuthorTopic: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME  (Read 36998 times)

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Re: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME

Reply #80 on: January 02, 2009, 07:26:54 pm
Alright a little graphical update:

A little village with which i am totally not happy with how it looks way too flat, and i have no idea whats wrong:

Finally tried to make a unit - a basic man-at-arms:

And this is how the rest is looking:

also Please tell what you think and all the edits are very much appreciated.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:01 pm
I don't mean to nitpick or be an ass or anything, but am i the only who thinks the water looks too...swimming'poolish'? it's just soo blue.

I personally think it'll look better with some more green up in there. After all, the game is going to have lakes and so on. That water looks way too clean as it is now imo. You don't need to change it but that's just my opinion ;)

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #82 on: January 02, 2009, 08:52:39 pm
i've really tried changing the water colour for almost too many times that i cant do/care for it any more, but maybe if you could show me an edit of what colour you think it can be i might change my mind. thanks for the thought.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #83 on: January 02, 2009, 09:55:16 pm
I do believe it looks 'poolish' due to the texture. The water wouldn't normally really have waves and ripples like that, I believe it would be a lot more flat.

I like the way the units look, btw. But I feel they're somewhat too large.

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #84 on: January 02, 2009, 10:46:01 pm
well i agree about the unit size cause when i think about adding horses that gonna be a problem to fit it all on one tile,

about the water, im having a problem if i have to change them all, i have 10 in all (corners and such) so better make the choice worth it,
now really... is it the colour or the texture? or both? im gonna try a little variations,

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: January 02, 2009, 11:25:55 pm
i really like the soldier but if you make him smaller it might be nice aswell.

buildings need to be executed in a similar manner to the characters i think, theres some incongruousness about the whole thing atm.

I stand by my original assertion that the pool is way overtextured and would be served better by a fill, with perhaps a few subtle lines to indicate ripples
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: January 02, 2009, 11:32:39 pm
The water looks nice, but I don't understand why you want to show depth in the actual lake? I think its this mostly this make it feel like a pool. I also think its the transition between the water and land that puts me off. Why? because lakes don't look like this, if you however used the those tiles almost like a sea bay(where the outside of the map is covered the sea tiles and not the inside).

I've been staring at the water for a while, and have come to appreciate the amount of effort you have put into it. Well done. Ermm now off to work   :-\

Hehehe keep going.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:37 am

This i think is more like what you should strive for.  I'm no expert or anything but i think this more rings 'natural body of water'

I add darker greens than expected, to make i a bit more opaque, as what should be typical for lakes and seas. When the sea reaches the beach fronts, i would suggest using using a shade of greyish green for the foams, as well as add another highlight that is lighter than the lightest colour in the palette i show there.
What u guys think of it?

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: January 03, 2009, 01:44:36 am
Alright a little graphical update:

A little village with which i am totally not happy with how it looks way too flat, and i have no idea whats wrong:

there isnt enough contrast! the colors on the buildings are a big problem. compare them to your castles. they have highlights, and that rich dark red as the shadow color! try taking the colors from the castles and adding highlights to the buildings. do the same with the rest of the tile! more contrast = more depth. just fool around with it more.  :)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:48 am

I took the liberty of editing the city tile to give it mroe depth.  I didn't add any colours, i used the existing ones. Tell me if u like.