AuthorTopic: Plotting Revenge  (Read 27330 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Plotting Revenge

Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 12:52:32 am
is it so bad that i think i'm in love with you, if not at least this piece?

may i ask where the light source is?

also i might add, i don't get an angry spiteful revenge-plotting vibe from this piece, more of a american-indian meditational fel  ???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:54:09 am by Feron »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 01:06:03 am
      To me, since the spiteful, brooding character is lit up so vibrantly, I think the background should be brighter, or a small light source that the character is huddling around, like a candle, or a lamp, should be put in, although that would require a rather severe change in the colors used on the character, which may be too much work for the end result. Really a small thing over all, but I just think it wouldn't be bad to think about it. As it is, I'm really enjoying watching this progress, looking forward to the finish.  :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:02 am
Totally agreed with Malor, some moonlight through a window would be the best fit :D but indeed it's a big work, really =/
Let's see where it's gonna end ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:55 am

Barring nitpickery, this is pretty much done. Final thoughts? I am not so much interested in 'oh, move that pixel once to the left' at this stage but more if it resonates if it achieves something emotionally.

32 colors, I think the final palette is a good one.

Feron: the lightsource is from above, as to what the actual emitter is, symbolic.

Malor: consider the implication of the opposite. Of a fierily bright character on a shrinking darkening world. Think of how little you'd care for the outside world if you were 'plotting revenge'. Besides playing with cool lightsources there are other issues to consider.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 07:29:40 am
Hello Helm, great piece of art. Some minor things which comes to my mind.

* The knob of the sword is too bright and contrasty imho, which means it has got too much attention. I lowered the contast and value in Photoshop and I thought it's a good change. I'm pretty sure it's correctly rendered considered by the lightsource, but it's too eye-catching currently.

* The shoes looks to simplified for my taste. It's kind of a detail-level clash. Maybe adding some small details like seams or heavier folds? But not high contrast, just subtle.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 08:24:27 am
Both good points. I'll get to them right now.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:59 am

How about this? I enjoyed putting a bit more red down there so it works better.

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:13 am
It looks really awesome, but I think the right knee of this guy looks like square, shouldn't it be more spherical?
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 09:44:11 am
Good changes. The knob is okay value-like I think. The shoes are great, I like the idea with the red shoelaces. I'm not sure about the red spot on his right (image left side) shoe. Is it blood or text? If it's text I've got the feeling that the characters doesn't follow the surface properly. For blood the rest of his outfit's too clean or if it would be coagulated it should be darker. The two dark single pixels on both shoes looks too random. At first look I thought they were stray pixels. Maybe it would work if they were brighter and bigger to suggest studs or something similar.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 10:16:38 am
(it's blood)

Addressed your points, did a million miniscule changes in aa and such and gave it a bit of a nice border so the surrounding pixelation earthtone doesn't suck the color out of it. Shall we call it?