AuthorTopic: Large Iso Robot Logo [WIP]  (Read 6187 times)

Offline popkiltr

• Counter Productions
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Large Iso Robot Logo [WIP]

on: July 05, 2008, 07:18:12 am
First I want to say hello.  :)
This is my first post... I have lurked from a distance for awhile, but recently decided to start posting my work for suggestions.

I mainly do graphic design work, but I have been a fan of pixel art some time now, and I usually dabble in it for fun in my spare time.
This is my first professional piece for a mobile and web company.

This first image is the original logo I designed for them

And below is the isometric pixel art version. I kept it simple on purpose, and don't want too many colors going on, but I think its boring.
I also want to try and make a half size and even quarter size version, but I don't know how to make it smaller without basically starting over.  ???

I used Photoshop and illustrator for the main work, and then used that as a "background template" and plotted the pixels in Pixen.
Any suggestions would be great. I have learned a lot reading everyone's post on this forum.

Thanks - Popkiltr

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Large Iso Robot Logo [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:00:38 am
The proportions look right except on the eyes and mouth. The indentations do not look thick enough on the bottom, giving me the sense that I am looking at it more straight-on then I should.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:42:22 pm
No doubt there's problems where Evileye pointed out.
But I just wanna say how impress I am- the original version is no match for the pixel art!
Loving it

Offline popkiltr

• Counter Productions
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:56:36 am
Thanks for the suggestion!

You are correct, and I fixed the angle of the eye and mouth. ::)
I also shortened it a little, since I stretched it re-drawing it in the Isometric view.

Any other suggestions to "spice it up" make it look more interesting?
I still find it a little dull, and I'm stuck...

Any other suggestions on how to easily reduce the image size (by half or even a quarter in size) without having photoshop mess it all up ???

*Edit: I also am unsure about the outline of the 3 boxes, two that stick out the top and one on his right side.
I'm thinking about changing the color of the outline when it comes "into" the image to a less black, and more orange based color... Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:23:36 pm by popkiltr »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:40 pm

*Edit: I also am unsure about the outline of the 3 boxes, two that stick out the top and one on his right side.
I'm thinking about changing the color of the outline when it comes "into" the image to a less black, and more orange based color... Suggestions?

Orange on blue and grey will look pretty bad.

Maybe if you used a darker shade of blue for where it is blue and a darker shade of orange where it is orange etc. Or a transitionary color between the two colors that meet.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:18 pm
If you made the top part yellow it would come to life.
And you could add shadows. :]
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline popkiltr

• Counter Productions
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:24 am
If you made the top part yellow it would come to life.
And you could add shadows. :]

My biggest limitations are two things:
1- They want the robot to look like their logo, as much as possible (hey, but if I show them something cooler, that could interest them :)...
2- The 3 colors (orange, blue, and grey) are their 3 company colors, and I've attempted to incorporate those into the design.

I'm going to attempt a version switching the colors up though, and a golden yellow would really bring some life... I'm researching how to add "texture to the surface, maybe some way to make it look like it's metal.

Offline abottoir

• monster.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:45 am
I think that you need to make thicker borders around the thing. This makes it look cleaner and nicer and more graphic as opposed to a small work
Pixel art... very refined.

Offline popkiltr

• Counter Productions
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:15:13 am
I think that you need to make thicker borders around the thing. This makes it look cleaner and nicer and more graphic as opposed to a small work

Thats a good suggestions. I tried it, and posted it below... It does "Pop" a little more, and I like that... It also gets a little more "graffiti" look to it as well, with the outline.
I think this does look better, and I might try a "super" thick border as well.

I have tried shadows, but since it's a Logo, it looks a little strange to me.

*Edit I also softened some of the inner outlines, and tried to pick transitional colors that worked well with the piece. Thanks for suggestions Evil Eye
This is getting closer, but I still think it's missing that "Thing." I'm starting to winder if I need a whole new redesign???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:32:05 am by popkiltr »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:09 am
 Looking nice. I have some more suggestions though:

1. Don't round the outlines, it looks like you made them thinner on the edges of the protrusions. It looks bad IMO.

2. The eyes and mouth look kind of silly. Unless you don't have any choice I would change around the shape / size / placement.

3. Also the black in the eyes and mouth look bad to me. It makes it look like the whole shape is hollow and well, just doesn't look right for some reason. Maybe make them indentations instead of holes and maybe make them deeper.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:05:42 am by EvilEye »