AuthorTopic: Rainbow World entrance  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Rainbow World entrance

on: July 03, 2008, 10:16:52 pm
So I'm working on the rainbow world entrance. No, I am not a freak about total consistency yet :-) so indeed shadows and things will not be 100% astounding, however I'm working on a tree right now in front of the door and I am needing help on making it match the other tree.

p.s. clouds inspired (and background clouds, not entirely visible, designed by Alkaline. Foreground clouds are not his)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:56:03 pm by Antago »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: Rainbow World entrance

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:12:36 pm
I just have a few questions:

Why is the tree falling off the platform?
Why is there a blue to red gradient in the background?
Why didn't you give Alkaline credit for his clouds?
Why is the grass and, I guess the rock/rabbit feces pile far higher quality than the rest?

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:20:42 pm
hahaha.
First of all, so sorry. Alkaline did make these clouds and I am actually not going to use these in the final version. He seems okay with me using them as inspiration, I talked to him.

Second of all I think your attitude really sucks. I am unsure as to why you have issues with a gradiented sky, I don't appreciate having my graphics compared to rabbit feces when I anyone can see that that is very unlikely a choice especially in the context of a beautiful rainbow world. Finally the tree is falling off the platform merely because it is and nature does indeed do weird things.

You can find this out if you'd do a little adventuring in nature yourself and if that is impossible where you live then you can study some photography books. Sometimes seeds fall near the edges of things and yet they still grow

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:57:39 pm
Ok I actually updated the clouds so that they are mostly mine for now

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:00:08 am
hmm, the grass seems from Sword of mana, the gradient is cheating in pixelart. I understand about the tree falling thing, but it is a bad idea in design wise, maybe you will like it but many people will not understand it. everything seems to be in a different style and perspective, you should try to fix the trees, since they are in a plataform view and not in the same perspective than the rest of the raimbow world.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:51 am
Well I did make the grass and thanks for your valid points. As for the sky, it works, and sometimes cheating is healthy

The tree falling will work out the more I work on this level, you will see. There will be more trees and plants, things falling, vines, etc.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:50 am
I'm thinking of turning the pile into a structure of some sort. Any suggestions?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:12:02 am
I am unsure as to why you have issues with a gradiented sky
It burns.

I don't appreciate having my graphics compared to rabbit feces when I anyone can see that that is very unlikely a choice especially in the context of a beautiful rainbow world.
Actually I don't think I can deduce much from the environmental context, I can see flying glowsticks or possibly monocles, grass which appears to not obey the laws of physics, toxic waste barrels, a mutant tree grabbing the toxic barrel, a tree that has gigantic realistic flowers growing on it with confusing ambient lighting that's growing on the side of a floating island, a sign showing mech schematics, and a portal? I'm genuinely confused about what kind of environment this is, based on the context pretty much anything I said would be feasible.

You can find this out if you'd do a little adventuring in nature yourself and if that is impossible where you live then you can study some photography books. Sometimes seeds fall near the edges of things and yet they still grow
The roots that are on the top of the platform don't appear to go into the ground at all. And the roots would certainly not be able to penetrate metal, which appears to coat the whole... bottom and sides of the floating platform. Also both of the trees are off, perspective wise.

The grass really arose my suspicion because the quality of it is far better than the rest of the image. It definitely looks like it belongs in a Mana game or some such, the rest of the stuff doesn't really live up to it... at all. Unless you have a technique for drawing grass, or you know the how and not the why.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:30:08 am
The world is not coated entirely in metal, you can see gigantic pile protruding from an empty crevace underneath the surface tiling. I think it's logical to assume the garden bed itself, if nothing else (and especially if something else) must at least be filled with dirt. :)

I am very thankful that you like my grass. I practiced a lot on creating grass, studying the Mana games years ago. I am absolutely thrilled that you really think it's high quality!! And I thank you very much.

I do have a technique for drawing grass, I think it work pretty well. I'd like to know more about making roots penetrate the ground, how would you go about depicting that? I was going to eventually just put some more grass blades over the roots before I finish the level, but if you have a better technique please show me. Particularly where they penetrate the DIRT, I was wondering how I was going to go about doing that

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:16 am
I would just have bigger roots, and do the grass thing, yeah. The tree is basically clawing the ground there to hang on and I think you could sell that idea a little further.

The perspective is still a little off, it was just a quickie. I also tried to make it look like the metal side bits were broken by it, because this is one badass, ghetto tree.