AuthorTopic: Sal collects eyeballs  (Read 16091 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sal collects eyeballs

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 01:38:39 am
Hm the lack of black shadows on the tunic makes it appear a bit astral; it is as if Sal is not really in it, it's superimposed on him in the etherial realm. What would be a good way to address this issue?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:07:06 am
I think black accents dont hurt the piece at all and it doesn't take much to bring it to Sal
sorry for the rough example ( what is this gimp??)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:15:22 pm
I agree that a bit of black would make it look better, but I'm not sure how to make something like that look natural. I think the dress would have to have darker shadows to begin with and then have a third light source illuminate those, but there's no telling how that would turn out without trying. Well, that's how I'd approach it, anyway. I would probably have considered using black for shadows from the start if she didn't have those thin, black arms. :'(

Played with some more hires/mcol sprite combos. The mcol sprites can have three colors + transparency. Two of those three are global colors shared by all the sprites, in this case pink and brown. The hires sprites can have one unique color + transparency. Twice the resolution and half the colors, I suppose. Sprites are 24 x 21 pixels in size, and you can only have 8 sprites per scanline. I'm using two for Sal, which leaves 6. I figured hearts (lives) and fires (health) would appear infrequently enough to add a bit extra to them.

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:15:40 pm
i really like sal's sprite! i really want to see her move! shes got a real nice no face vibe

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:17:25 pm
I would suggest adding a background. This is an example here, but it needs more detail. However it illustrates the point.

Basically it just illustrates a moon sky and some black stalactite type things in the background. You could add some moonlight hightlights and some purple shade "highlights" on things like the edges of the mushrooms and leaves and things.

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:09:56 am
Wouldn't the moon contradict his current light source though :/?

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 03:32:29 am
I suppose, if you want to be a Nazi about everything. There are alternative lightsources however in this great and vast world. Still I wouldn't worry about it

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 03:51:11 am
Attitude. Strike. Be careful.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:06:05 pm
It was Nazi as a metaphor, not as an insult. Really, lighten up your heart will beat easier

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 09:28:12 pm
Words are just words, they can be meant as insults but not always. One's tone has to be interpreted. The moderators have to make the call on whether your tone was assholish or not. Look under my name, it says 'Shogun'. My call was that it was. If you're searching for a way to say that you didn't mean to insult Destiny, it will serve you well to end your post with something along the lines of 'sorry' or 'no offense' perhaps throw in a smiley for good measure.

Now I will give you the space if you feel like apologizing properly to Destiny, if not, hey, that's just how Antago rolls, it ain't my karma. But if you give me lip once again or you insult anyone else here, you're gone.

EDIT: Also, Antago, if you reply here in this thread again in a defensive manner or whatever not related to the art in the thread you will get a strike from me. (ptoing)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:33:03 pm by ptoing »