AuthorTopic: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [C+C]  (Read 919 times)

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [C+C]

Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:37 am
Thanks, SeDiceBisonte.

Yeah, he's definitely gliding and to some extent he will anyway because I (probably?) can't devote too many frames to that animation. But maybe that effect can be mitigated. For this animation in particular I had the characters from the first Mortal Kombat in mind, but did it completely without checking any references, and I should have. Seeing it now, even Johnny Cage moves his feet a little more than what I did there.

But I'll look into that. Maybe this guy should have a heavier walk... He probably should be going up and down 1 pixel when his legs are closer together.

I think I want to make him move at a regular speed because it could be a bit of a pain to implement if he doesn't.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 11:58:14 am
The way he's walking now really gives the impression that he's trying to keep his balance to strike at any minute, like a kendo competitor or a samurai. I think that's really cool as a walking animation if (a) this is more of a slow paced game with blocks, parries and counters or (b) there is an option to run when walking is too slow. I agree that it looks great already (if Bisonte's point is addressed), I'm not sure I'd prefer a bounce. Will be interesting to see, depending on the pace and style of the game. I would assume that it's probably not total mayhem with dozens of enemies at the time. Otherwise, he's going to need a really powerful left hook.  ;D

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 06:39:54 pm
Added a new frame (yeah, I know, I'm going slooowly...), changed some things here and there:

Old > New (in red, hand animated)
https://i.imgur.com/mkcQ05A.gif

The pacing is somewhat consistent...

I'm thinking his boot... things, sleeves, fur(??) are making it a bit hard to follow the movement of the feet. But I'm not sure if that's that problematic.

---

Perhaps if I darkened the left leg when it gets behind the right one...

https://i.imgur.com/jy64qmu.gif

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:53:28 pm by fskn »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:47 pm
Since SeinRuhe is apparently putting his career before pixel art, I'll offer my thoughts:

- The new animation looks great. Much better than before.
- I think it's a good idea to darken the leg that is behind the other. Maybe you can even go further and make it dark brown?
- Now that I've bought Aseprite, I can actually test different animations myself. And I'm pretty sure I prefer him not bouncing up and down as he walks.  I seem to have given him a limp. ;D
- I also tried to make his right leg (our left side) move a bit evenly because I felt your version doesn't move the right leg too much between frame 2 and 3. And I tried to darken his boot as he puts one foot in front of the other, including the fur.

Don't know if this helps but an attempt was made.  :lol:

EDIT:

Those shoe laces are not easy to get right.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:14:57 pm by cels »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:17 pm
Haha, yeah, I had tried doing exactly that with making him go up a pixel and ehh... No. Too weird. So I kept him steady. It does look like a Harvey Toons walk, though.
But OTOH it will help me keep the tile count down.

Also I was undecided to paint his leg dark brown (and I had tried doing that too), but upon seeing your edit now I think it looks better...

I like your frame 2 better. It's clearer, doesn't make everything look like confusing blob.

Thanks for the edit, cels.