AuthorTopic: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [WIP][C+C]  (Read 31242 times)

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [C+C]

Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:37 am
Thanks, SeDiceBisonte.

Yeah, he's definitely gliding and to some extent he will anyway because I (probably?) can't devote too many frames to that animation. But maybe that effect can be mitigated. For this animation in particular I had the characters from the first Mortal Kombat in mind, but did it completely without checking any references, and I should have. Seeing it now, even Johnny Cage moves his feet a little more than what I did there.

But I'll look into that. Maybe this guy should have a heavier walk... He probably should be going up and down 1 pixel when his legs are closer together.

I think I want to make him move at a regular speed because it could be a bit of a pain to implement if he doesn't.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 11:58:14 am
The way he's walking now really gives the impression that he's trying to keep his balance to strike at any minute, like a kendo competitor or a samurai. I think that's really cool as a walking animation if (a) this is more of a slow paced game with blocks, parries and counters or (b) there is an option to run when walking is too slow. I agree that it looks great already (if Bisonte's point is addressed), I'm not sure I'd prefer a bounce. Will be interesting to see, depending on the pace and style of the game. I would assume that it's probably not total mayhem with dozens of enemies at the time. Otherwise, he's going to need a really powerful left hook.  ;D

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 06:39:54 pm
Added a new frame (yeah, I know, I'm going slooowly...), changed some things here and there:

Old > New (in red, hand animated)
https://i.imgur.com/mkcQ05A.gif

The pacing is somewhat consistent...

I'm thinking his boot... things, sleeves, fur(??) are making it a bit hard to follow the movement of the feet. But I'm not sure if that's that problematic.

---

Perhaps if I darkened the left leg when it gets behind the right one...

https://i.imgur.com/jy64qmu.gif

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:53:28 pm by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:47 pm
Since SeinRuhe is apparently putting his career before pixel art, I'll offer my thoughts:

- The new animation looks great. Much better than before.
- I think it's a good idea to darken the leg that is behind the other. Maybe you can even go further and make it dark brown?
- Now that I've bought Aseprite, I can actually test different animations myself. And I'm pretty sure I prefer him not bouncing up and down as he walks.  I seem to have given him a limp. ;D
- I also tried to make his right leg (our left side) move a bit evenly because I felt your version doesn't move the right leg too much between frame 2 and 3. And I tried to darken his boot as he puts one foot in front of the other, including the fur.

Don't know if this helps but an attempt was made.  :lol:

EDIT:

Those shoe laces are not easy to get right.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:14:57 pm by cels »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:17 pm
Haha, yeah, I had tried doing exactly that with making him go up a pixel and ehh... No. Too weird. So I kept him steady. It does look like a Harvey Toons walk, though.
But OTOH it will help me keep the tile count down.

Also I was undecided to paint his leg dark brown (and I had tried doing that too), but upon seeing your edit now I think it looks better...

I like your frame 2 better. It's clearer, doesn't make everything look like confusing blob.

Thanks for the edit, cels.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 12:57:25 am
Character portrait (WIP)

Not sure yet if it's going to stay at the top of the screen at all times, like:

...or if it's going to be used for dialogues... Maybe it's too big to stay up there and I need to make a 16x16px version...

---

Darker hair...

16px version:

It kinda looks like he has a beard, though.

EDIT: 24px...

Lighter skintone, mebbe?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:31:16 am by fskn »

Offline SeinRuhe

• @SeinRuhe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/127850.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 02:55:04 am
My pixel goodness Fskn, he looks really dangerous, why would he need a sword if he has that face to scare enemies? I would cross the street and change sidewalks just to avoid passing near him. If that's the idea you nailed it, otherwise maybe tone down a bit some expression lines? Besides personal preferences I would work a bit on the readability of the bangs, he looks kinda bald on the middle of the head.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 03:27:44 am
My pixel goodness Fskn, he looks really dangerous, why would he need a sword if he has that face to scare enemies? I would cross the street and change sidewalks just to avoid passing near him. If that's the idea you nailed it, otherwise maybe tone down a bit some expression lines? Besides personal preferences I would work a bit on the readability of the bangs, he looks kinda bald on the middle of the head.

He has the face of someone that would want to crush his enemies. :lala:

Hmm... I know I pushed on the comic-bookiness of it in the 32px version (in regards to expression lines). But I'm not seeing the baldness right now. I'll have to give another look at him tomorrow.

I might need to make his nose thicker...

---

...yeah, maybe something like this:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:41:11 am by fskn »

Offline SeinRuhe

• @SeinRuhe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/127850.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 04:35:26 am
I think I'm going crazy, I did some small edits here and there on the 32px version and while working on it I just stopped seeing him bald, went to take a leak, and again, baldness in the center of the head for a couple mins, and puff, gone again. ???

Anyway, I did some small edits on his hair, also gave him the perky little butt that we ended up covering on the fairy, faces that chiseled tend to have that kind of chin in my opinion.

Take what you think it works and discard the rest, you got way more skill with this kind of NES graphics than I do!

Edit: I think the baldness I'm perceiving is a mix between color and the lack of hair volume on the upper part of his head, it matches the silhouette of the skull perfectly hence my brain deceiving me. Almost sure nobody will perceive this the way I do so no worries there fskn ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:01:54 am by SeinRuhe »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 09:02:33 am
This looks great! Love the 80's barbarian bangs! I bet he loves to hear the lamentation of women.

I can't really fault it, so it's more about personal preferences. I made some changes and I also accidentally ended up with the same chin butt as SeinRuhe and similar changes to the strands of hair. Tiny edit, I think I changed a total of 8 pixels or something. I felt like those cheeks were a bit too gaunt.  :lol:

I really like SeinRuhe's edit of the smaller 16x16 portrait because I feel that his version looks more healthy and fearsome, whereas the original looks more skeletal by comparison.

I did not perceive any baldness but I do like the readability on SeinRuhe's hair. Depends how raven haired you want this Cimmerian to be, I suppose.

Great to see some progress for this project! Can't wait to see this guy punch warlocks and dragons in the face.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:04:11 am by cels »