AuthorTopic: 800x600 beast of a wip  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

800x600 beast of a wip

on: December 09, 2005, 11:54:19 pm
click to enlarge

...i'm not going smaller :P

need c&c on grass badly but crit everything if you wish (cept the lines, they are by another artist which the guy i'm doing this for wouldn't give me the contact info of  :-\)
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: 800x600 beast of a wip

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 12:11:15 am
LOLOL good luck on the grass!!! I sugest you make tiles :D honestly, that's gonna be a pain!!!

the layout and composition are quite promissing! good luck!

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 12:17:07 am
what? no crits? I think the grass looks crap :-\

I'll probably tile parts of it. when i get further in
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 12:27:38 am
Imho that size clearly defeats the purpose of pixeling... Why would you try and cover a huge area like that pixel by pixel instead of using a more painted approach.

Crits.: The character is off whack... he looks like hes leaning forward in an awkward way... the shoulders are not level - looks even worse with the shield on the one shoulder... Grass - I assume this is just a first sketch and you will add more detail and variation to it... and it will be a pain and a half to do...

Good luck!

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 12:36:05 am
I am using a sort of painted approach. I know it defeats the purpose but i've tried and failed to use photoshop + other image editors to paint.

I'm pixeling more in strokes at a low zoom than zoomed right up, pixel by pixel.

I'm still trying to get the grass looking right :(

I agree with you on the lean and i'll try to pull his body back more over his feet.

EDIT: better grass?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 01:18:58 am by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:58:49 am
 :) dont listen to them, pixels dont have to be small images. im loving it so far. no crits.if i had one suggestion it would be to add some really cool hue shifts to make everything stand out.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 03:22:30 am
I suggest that you develop the image more as a whole rather than concentrating on such minute details at first and leaving the rest of the image nearly blank.. not only are you setting yourself up for an image that lacks coherency and wholeness, but people like me end up clicking a link expecting an 800x600 wip and wind up seeing a 150x350 wip on an 800x600 canvas of scribbles. :'(
typing ewith fdace

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 03:27:41 am
i agree, i think in artistic terms they say" keep the image moving" so that there isnt an inconsistency in quality in the image.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 04:24:17 pm
Imho that size clearly defeats the purpose of pixeling... Why would you try and cover a huge area like that pixel by pixel instead of using a more painted approach.

Crits.: The character is off whack... he looks like hes leaning forward in an awkward way... the shoulders are not level - looks even worse with the shield on the one shoulder... Grass - I assume this is just a first sketch and you will add more detail and variation to it... and it will be a pain and a half to do...

Good luck!

Wouldn't that be the person who did the lines fault?

Tiling would be good for grass, as they said, but one thing I didn't like was the colors on the clothing and such, but I do really like the hair. I can't think of any crits, mainly because I've no experience working with something even half as large.
I.....am......me............

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 09:55:20 pm
heh thanks for all the support guys. I'll post again when i have more progress.

@goat: i have a coloured blocked layer between the lines and the colouring (if that makes sense) so i have some idea of consistancy and everything. Now i'm more adding detail and cleaning up the lines.

@CrematedPumpkin: yeah i'm not really fond of those colours either. I'm using a sprite for a reference though so i stuck to colours from that. Might do a colour edit further along the track.
thanks Dogmeat!