AuthorTopic: Lick that kitty  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Lick that kitty

on: March 13, 2008, 07:13:30 pm
After abandoning this whole thing for a while, I've come crawling back to pixels.

I can almost taste the rust in this one. Help me?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Lick that kitty

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:17:08 pm
I don't like the look of flat feet. The white circles above kitty's head are a little indistinguishable from the background. His arm is kind of... shapeless. Like a twizzler. Or spaghetti.

It made me laugh and I think it's very well done.  ;D

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:10:21 pm
nice to see some new pixels from you, Tremulant! :)

I really like what you've got going on here.  Lots of nice stylistic choices and the like.  Personally, i'd AA the outline (on the inside of course) a lot more than what you're doing.  You definitely have enough colors for it, and you're doing it in some places, but not others.  even if you want to keep the somewhat chunky outlines for stylistic reasons, I think a tad bit of AA couldn't hurt in this case.

Atnas:
about the arm, its a bit obvious that was intentional here, and I quite like that choice he made.

-Dan

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:31:30 pm
Hurray! I did quite miss your pixels.

What I notice most is the lack of AAing. You usually utilize it so well, but here you've omitted it in many places in favor of dithering or non-buffered outlines.

I made an edit of what I remember your art to look like w/o adding more colors, but all I really did was AA the image to the background.  :'( That's pretty counter-productive, I'd say. Oh well. I do hope you continue making stuff.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:03:38 pm

Atnas:
about the arm, its a bit obvious that was intentional here, and I quite like that choice he made.

Yeah... I don't know what I was thinking by saying that...

I like the AAing on the inside but not the outside. I take back my comment about the spots. I had a window open which was partly shining on my window.  :hehe:

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:22:19 pm
Just a quick update:

I tried to smooth some inner lines, changed the shoes based on Doppelganger's edit and changed the kitty's face (for better or worse).

Atnas: I'll play with the feet. Just to be sure, are you talking about flatness from a lack of shading, or the flatness of the soles? I'm thinking it's the latter, and if it's not, Doppleganger's edit might've helped the problem. Otherwise, well... I tried un-flattening the soles with little success, so like I said, I'll play with it and see what happens. The arm was intentional, though, like Indigo said. it was a conscious choice so I guess it comes down to a matter of taste.

Indigo: I did a little more aa'ing, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding your meaning. You mean I should more heavily aa the inner-outlines, (like the inner curve of the arm, the jeans' pockets, etc.), or like, the inside of the outlines (outer curve of the arm, jeans contours, etc.). Anyway, again I jumped to the conclusion that you meant the latter, and that's what I tried for.  :P

Dopplegagner: Worry not, my friend. I'm back for good, and ready to produce a vast catalogue of new pixels ...or something like that. I dunno, I'll probably get bored in a bit and have sandwiches instead. Anyway... ;D
Yeah. I've been away from pixelling for a while, obviously, and like I said, I think it shows. That said though, the lack of AA here was intentional for the most part, especially concerning the contours. I'm trying to get away from my reliance on outer AA, and I'm thinking that when it's done, this one'll have a transparent background, so... As for the shoes though, thanks ;D. I was messing around with the palette, trying to find a decent way to add some depth to them and, for some reason, ignored the gray.

Atnas (again): Heh, I was going to mention that the spots would probably be ok once I tranperificated the background, but then you posted what you posted, so...  :)

Thanks guys <3