AuthorTopic: My Game-Graphics for a 'Lost-Vikings'-Clone  (Read 9480 times)

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

My Game-Graphics for a 'Lost-Vikings'-Clone

on: December 03, 2007, 07:21:39 am
Hello,

here are very talented pixelartists on board, as far as i can see that  :crazy:

i'm reading here for a few month from time to time, and now i did the impossible thing: i registered here  ;)

now let's have a look at my graphics for "Free Vikings":

i first have to say, that i love the original game 'Lost Vikings' because of its puzzle-elements and gameplay.
later i found the Clone "Free Vikings", done by a czech programmer, but the graphics were poor, i thought, and decided to create some new ones for his game.

current redone graphics by me:

(apple)

(energypoint)

(switch)

(one viking - baleog)

more game-graphics will follow

c&c welcome

Greetings,
Ingo

PS: sorry for my sometimes 'bad' english - it's my second language, but i'll try my best :)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: My Game-Graphics for a 'Lost-Vikings'-Clone

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:42:36 am
Long time Lurker,
Short time Poster?
heh

I love your Art, but theres one problem, you need to dither. i used to not care about dithering but it helps a lot actually. Try it on the apple or something.
:D

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:56:24 am
huh?  :o

please have a look at the apple. i used dithering on the apple and the viking. :) it's hard to see without a screen-magnifier, i guess  :blind:

thank you for your comment  ;D

oh, and, btw. this is the Project-Website: http://freevikings.wz.cz/ (the graphics shown there are the old ones, done by the programmer)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:00:25 am by Seele07 »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:15:51 am
thats weird. it looks like you didn't...
ah, well, I'm half-ish asleep. I'll download em and check.
 :sry:

EDIT:
ok, i just checked, and i don't know if its your style, but you dithered, but you didn't use the dark color as well.
i mean, you mixed the light and dark colors, but you didn't use the dark color un-mixed.

by the way, great improvement from the old graphics of the game :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:25:12 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:24 am
maybe i used it (dithering) the wrong way?  ???

btw. i used the DOS-Version of GrafX2 and theGimp for creating the Graphics  :) if someone wants to know that.

Greetings,
Ingo

Edit: heheh , you were faster with your edit ;) yeh, i didn't use the darker color, because i'm more or less new to 'pixel art', but i draw on paper from time to time, which is a good practise for general skill and for pixelart too, i think.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:30:00 am by Seele07 »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 08:33:56 am
since this is kinda turning into a chat, where only you and me are talking, I'm going to stop here and just say that i agree, i am great at drawing with a pencil and i think it helps me a lot with pixel art. it helps with method, styles, all kinds of great stuff.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:58 am
If you used dithering and it looks like you didn't, you used it the right way. Though in this case, dithering is not needed(unless you have a really tight budget on the color count of that apple). You're using it the same effect that you would by just having another shade there.

yosh64

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:00:03 am
hey

I see the dithering fine.

Hmm, your viking seems to lack proper shading on their pants, beard, and part the body. I also think the lines of the upper shoes need to be brighter, why not use the darker shade on the side of the foot?

At first glance I wasn't even sure what the shoes were, but with a closer look I think they are meant to be sandles? but the straps seem to be odd? Another thing is that I think you should put the feet in a more natural position, rather than side to side like that. I think that's hardly possible without bending your knees out sideways, hehe.

Anyhows that's it for now.

cya

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:03 am
@Dusty:
i do not really know, how much shades/colors i can use for the whole game graphics (256 colors or more), but i'll ask the programmer.

@yosh64:
yeh, the shoes and legs are a problem, i realize now. I'll fix that asap :)

@all:
if you wonder, what the original game looks like, please visit my (simple) lost vikings fanpage:
http://home.pages.at/wavebreaker/
there you'll find Screenshots, a playable demo and so on  ;D

Greetings,
Ingo
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:45:32 am by Seele07 »

yosh64

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:00 am
hey

and

Well I done an edit to better show ya what I suggest :), hope ya don't mind? Hmm, well it could be improve far more than this, but I think this covers my main points. BTW, I wasn't sure what the metal thing around his body was :\, I was thinking it might be a chain, but I dunno.

cyas