AuthorTopic: This stuff really pi55es me off...  (Read 15947 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

This stuff really pi55es me off...

on: November 21, 2007, 05:45:02 pm
I was having a look at this thread in the indiegamer forum.

Am I being harsh? Does anyone else rate them?

I've only just joined indiegamer so I can't comment (yet), personally I think the guys barking up the wrong tree... is animation better if it's smooth? It needs to flow, and read, but smooth like the way these are means more memory footprint and slow gameplay...

It has nasty aliasing surround the entire character and is... well - smudgy.

Opinions?

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: This stuff really pi55es me off...

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:53:17 pm
While I can say it looks quite eye pleasing with so many frames (Although I'm sure even Metal Slug wasn't as overkill on THIS subject.), the whole thing, as he said that was vector made, kind of kills the whole thing of putting worth (Although working for hours isn't exactly easy.). I agree on the thought that some frames could've been axed, some of them extended to give a fiercer, resulting in a more realistic look to them, and on the subject that the overdose of anti aliasing on the character really makes it seem more of an odd (No offense.) 2d Flash game.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:55:35 pm
Metalslug has good keyframes and nowhere near as many frames for standard walks. The elephant which walks really slow has something like 24 frames but he is an exception because, OMG, he is slow and to convey that properly you need more frames.

Those are complete and utter rubbish imo. The run has no weight to speak of and the attack lacks punch.
I could not care less tho really. If people like this rubbish, let em have it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:20:13 pm
yea these are total crap, i bet 5 million dollars that these were cobbled together in flash with straight tweens and saved to .gif, end of story.  Thus the aliasing, high frame rates, complete lack of actual shading or detail, polygon primitives only construction, etc.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:32:08 pm
Haha 40 frames for a simple attack animation. I guess he wants to make some quick bucks eh?  :lol:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:41 pm
lol, this stuff is garbage.  but if people are willing to pay.....
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:47:23 pm
I like em. They're swishy and have no weight, but they have a nice flow to them. Not the style I'd use in a game, but interesting to watch.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 11:36:27 pm
the biggest problem with this isn't the butter animation for me, it's the auto-aa that makes everything a blurry mess. There's a reason people work straight on pixel level at such resolutions.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 04:19:56 am
i can't say id play a game with no timing, it gets uncomfortable.  look at Wild Arms for an example of a decent game with uncomfortable timings.

im not sure why people think that more frames and super even spacing makes things nice! its crazy!  i know im not a good animator, but i know that there should be snap in some places and drag in others, not this faucet effect.

edit: wow, im such a rhode island boy at heart, it took me 30 years to figure out why firefox put a red line underneath "fawcet"
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 08:10:37 am
The thing about tweening between keyframes i found in 3ds max is it was a pain to keep the feet from going through the floor (in character studio, you could have the feet 'locked' on the floor which was great). The thing that is bad about that animation is how the feet go through the floor. Another thing is it looks like the length of the leg segments are different for each leg ie right leg has a really small shin. The right arm doesn't bend at all so it looks stiff. Its also stupid how the shoulder pads don't rotate, but maybe its WIP. Not that im an expert...etc. etc.

I think an interesting point is that courses like the one he has done might be out to make money more than delivering a product (ie. people like shrek, lets cash in on that, it doesn't matter what we teach them as long as they think they are getting a good deal)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:03:05 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi