AuthorTopic: The Delta Odyssey Revisited and Revamped  (Read 5598 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

The Delta Odyssey Revisited and Revamped

on: August 07, 2007, 01:58:14 am
Worked on this stuff all day, and a couple weeks ago... working 12 work shifts gives me a lot of time to brainstorm stuff for this whole concept of mine. The motivation to work on it is flowing a bit more, which is nice, and although I have no idea how far I'll be able to take this idea, it's something I really enjoy working on. So HEEERRRREEE WE GOOOO.....

Ok, first up, new things: 2 new characters I had been working on, the girl and the guy with the cloak. The girl plays kind of a pivotal role in the skeleton boys life, what that role is is TOP SECARETT... in other words, I don't have exact details, I'm only just starting to formulate how she's connected to The Boy.

The Patrons are an almost cult-like religion, with direct ties to Mr. Trianglehead, the "God" of this world. They're more of a neutral autonomous society kind of religion akin to monks and stuff. So they don't run around like crazy evangelists. Their contact with Mr. Trianglehead is next to that of The Boy.

I'm cooking up a story for the spikey haired guy, known simply as "The Traveller" right now, he's got some connection with both forms of Amorphous, the positive and negative.

As for the overworld kinda mockup I got going on (the one with the little skeleton boy on it) this is probably the one thing that I think is the coolest idea I've had for this whole thing thus far. To pitch this in a kind of video game  way, the world starts out shrouded in complete darkness. Literally, it's like space minus the vacuum, you can't travel on it, but the world that DOES exist is liveable (I actually have this all worked out, but I don't wanna reveal anything in case this turns out to be worked on more. And I like suspense.) Anyways, instead of being able to see the entire world right off the bat, the world slowly expands as the story unfolds, allowing you to proceed to the next part of the story. Also, just to let you know, the black area has to do with the negative Amorphous. More on that as I do more drawings and shiz.

Anyways, this is starting to get really elaborate in my head, but I like where it's going, and hopefully you do too. I've fleshed this whole thing out way more than I ever expected, and I like where it's headed.

Oh, and just a general point, i want the whole thing to have a kind of painted feel, like it was done in acrylics or something, so no overbearing textures, no limit on colour, very vibrant and alive.

Tell me what you think , I know it's a lot to take in.

Dunno what board you copy-pasted from, but pix does not support the ZOOM tag!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:13:05 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: The Delta Odyssey Revisited and Revamped

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:43:57 pm
First of all, the character designs are pretty sweet. But, the girl could use some AA or something on her legs, because right now their sides looks quite choppy. Or, you could employ the selout used in the boy for the girl. Anyways I really like the designs, and can't wait to see this finished ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:05:36 am

Slight tweaks made, as well as finished the Patron's sprite and started on the girl's portrait. More when I have more time over the weekend, I assure you.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:54:14 am
JPEG'd? why? I don't think the girl in the portrait fits as much with the other two characters, it's...pretty normal looking comparatively, i think. otherwise, :y:, i love the style and colors.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:25 am
DOT JAY PEEE GEEE  >:(
Nice Patron...but I dunno, man. Something seems just a little bit off when compared to the other characters.
Maybe it'll be more clear when you un-.jpg it.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:15:11 am
Holy shit, that was the tiredness, I uploaded a bmp and Photobucket automatically changes it to JPEG. Forgot to change it to a gif before showing. Sorry,  my bad guys :-\.

Expect a fixed image tonight.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 05:35:33 am
fixed up the JPEG issue, worked on more stuff... I think I'm gonna need to start breaking this into separate images, im running outta room!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:02:11 am
dude this looks like itll be epic. its already beautiful
i like the art on a traditional and pixel level and im totally digging the concept. what sucks is when you make a really good concept and dont follow through and then everybody wants to shoot you.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 06:27:13 am
More work to add:

8- direction anim... browser mach-speeded it.

Here's the separate frames due to intense speed.

Tweaks and such.

The beginnings of what a screen might look like once you've entered an area.

Give me feedback here people, i've never updated an image/idea/topic EVER. I need to crits in order to improve my designs.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 06:59:07 am
neat!  I don't like that the eye on the skull stays essentially the same shape across like 5 of the 8 frames of animation; it makes the back of the spin appear to pass by disproportionately fast.  I would like to see slightly more coherent perspective in the screenshot as well.  Otherwise, great job, continue updating!