AuthorTopic: Alvizaar Rises  (Read 11850 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Alvizaar Rises

on: July 29, 2007, 02:21:48 pm
Here's something i've been working on over a year... Started after posting the lineart (which there have been some interpretations that came out great, by Aleyav and Badassbill)
Somewhat inspired by St0ven's Bahamut Perched.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/TurboLento/Pixel%20Art/hueglizard.png Lines: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/upload/lineart/turbo_1.png

Latest:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:52:02 am by Turbo »

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Re: Alvizaar Rises

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:29:09 pm
God damn, it's beautiful.
I think the closed mouth looks better.
Also, the background is beautiful.
I myself can't really point anything out that's wrong with it, awesome work.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:02:55 pm
Wow, amazing piece!

There is not much critique from me, but I do have some points you might want to work on.

The whole piece shows you have put much effort in it. Every pixel is placed carefully, but the sky (not the clouds) looks a bit out of place. Maybe you can improve this by filling up the whole sky with new lighter clouds, you can mix the color of the sky and the color of the current clouds so it looks like the new clouds will be further away. The new cloud thing is just an idea, but I really think the piece will improve if the brown sky will be filled up.

There is one thing that looks very strange in this piece, the shading on the back of the monster. The monsters back is so light, but the place is clouded so I can't see where the light is coming from. You should replace the white by a light pink.
You can also add lightning to the background, this will make the light back of the monster make sense. You can also shade its back blue when you use the lightning, I think it will have a nice effect on it.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:36:28 pm
There are many surfaces that should have green ambient lighting but do not.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:32:28 pm
Outstanding job on the colors IMHO. Since I know you're not a beginner, I'm doing an edit on some anatomic issues that I think might be improved (quick edit):

Since this creature seems to be a humanoid, I think some of the muscles could be better placed/shown to improve the composition.
The head and arms seem to be just hanging, like the creature is being lifted from a string around it's torso. It might be a good idea to show he's trying to maintain posture, with mildly contracted muscles/bent limbs.

Great job! I hope it helps.

-Stefano.

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 01:45:28 am
Ah yeah, I did kinda notice his head should've looked up in my opinion, but I didn't know how to tell you to make it look.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 02:02:50 am
I disagree with stefano.  I think it's meant to be more of a komodo dragon/snake then a humanoid.  I also feel the hanging of the arms/head add a nice lifting action to the "rise of Alvizzar".

Nice work.  :y:

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:49:25 am
Sorry for not following up, been very busy this past semester.
I have some extra time now, working on applying the crits on this one. Thanks for the pointers.
new:
Changed some stuff, sky, lighting, body position and composition a bit. Still wip.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 03:47:55 am
ive always loved these lines...
ahem
there are some stray black pixels,
his back looks .... not as detailed as the rest of him, but its not a big issue.
it doesnt look like any of the lovely orange/blue lighting is hitting him, and i think it would be all the better if he fit in more to the background..without losing readability of course.
its good, the lighting works, and the background is great ^_^ nice job, much better than my version of the lines xD

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:08:04 am
Thanks for the tips. Some parts i just selected and moved around, and then filled in the gaps, which produced the black lines and unfinished parts. I'll try to work something up this week.
I don't remember seeing your version of it though, but nice that you liked it!