AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Trying to learn human anatomy  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Supper

• View Profile

[Feedback] Trying to learn human anatomy

on: March 30, 2020, 11:52:30 pm
Hi! Last night, i decided that i'll try to learn human anatomy ( or character building), and this is the 2nd character i've made. I'm posting here cuz i am searching for some feedback.

What do you think about it, guys? :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [Feedback] Trying to learn human anatomy

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:33:50 am
If you're going to learn human anatomy, do it OUTSIDE of pixelart. I took a long time to realize this and I'd be further along now with my pixelwork if I hadn't.

Proko on youtube is a great start for the fundamentals, his playlist of anatomy tutorials is comprehensive and quick.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 01:48:33 pm
Seconding MysteryMeat. With art this small, you're inherently simplifying and distorting things just to make them work at this size, which isn't great for learning anatomy. You should give yourself enough resolution/space that you can express everything as you see it, without forced stylization. That way, you'll learn anatomy rather than a version of it distorted in ways you weren't even aware of, and when you apply your anatomy knowledge to pixel art, you will consciously make the stylization decisions. Your art will look better for it.

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:48 pm
If you're going to learn human anatomy, do it OUTSIDE of pixelart. I took a long time to realize this and I'd be further along now with my pixelwork if I hadn't.

Proko on youtube is a great start for the fundamentals, his playlist of anatomy tutorials is comprehensive and quick.

The problem is: idk how to draw in real life. What do i do?

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:27:28 pm
Seconding MysteryMeat. With art this small, you're inherently simplifying and distorting things just to make them work at this size, which isn't great for learning anatomy. You should give yourself enough resolution/space that you can express everything as you see it, without forced stylization. That way, you'll learn anatomy rather than a version of it distorted in ways you weren't even aware of, and when you apply your anatomy knowledge to pixel art, you will consciously make the stylization decisions. Your art will look better for it.

The problem is: idk how to draw in real life. What do i do

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:22:07 am
You don't need to quote both of us just to make the same reply xP

The point is you need to give yourself space to draw big enough for anatomical concepts to become visible. You can use your pixel art software if you're more comfortable with that, just use a very large canvas and make large marks instead of placing individual pixels.
Or better yet, pick up some simple new tools (pencil+paper, or a simple mobile drawing program) and give it a whirl. It will take extra practice to get used to making marks with a new medium, but it's a valuable skill anyway that will aid you in pixel art too. If you limit yourself to pixel art, you will progress much more slowly, even if the other stuff seems harder at first.