AuthorTopic: Trenchcoat, tie, sandals and gun  (Read 9025 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: Trenchcoat, tie, sandals and gun

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:48 pm
I think that the shooting animation looks okay, perhaps some muzzle flare and lighting? The idle definitely needs leg movement, and the hand fixed to the hip seems fairly unnatural. The capes opposite side seems to flow up, so while you have improved the animation somewhat it still looks off.
I like what I'm seeing so far and can't wait to see it finished  :y:
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:40:40 am
Thanks for the comments guys,

I tried to address the issues with the hands and the pants with more cheap pixel moving stuff.

Twisting and smacking! Heres the burst fire position. I tired to make sure the feet were moving correctly; especially during the twist. The coat might feel neglected.. I'll take a look at it tomorrow...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 03:48:20 am
In your new anim, looks like he moves up a few pixels by the end. Am I crazy?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 03:49:25 am
Yes, the ending position is higher, but he is also more erect.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 03:51:41 am
Hmm, actually that was intended but I can see how it would be a problem if he were put into a game. ILL LOOK INTO IT!

Edit: Problem solved.. with the quickness...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:20:09 am by Omenith »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 04:13:54 am
I don't like how the trenchcoat is always at a perfectly (or at least close to perfectly) 1/2 slope on the back. It doesn't seem like it drapes. You got the animations pretty good, but the stills...they just seem wierd to me. Like, see in the anim where he takes out his gun...? Yeah, see where the trenchcoat goes forward a bit due to momentum and all that jazz? Then it just snaps back into position. Your new animation fixes this but...I dunno, it just seemed odd to me. I mean, when he's holding his gun straight out, the coat doesn't drape down the contour of his back, it just goes "/". I hope I'm not being redundant. You get me?
I also find it odd how the arm has much brighter hilights than the jacket.

But other than that, this is looking very nice and reminding me that I need to animate cloth.

I tried to address the issues with the hands and the pants with more cheap pixel moving stuff.
Not cheap. It gives i t much more motion and gets rid of the odd stillness. Not cheap. Purposeful. And it sho' 'nuff worked.

I just noticed this, but I really like the face.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 07:43:54 am
I dont like his right feet standing in the air.. And in the new move, when he holds the gun with two hands, the right foot is lowered a bit, not as high as it was earlier.. Which doesnt make sense :o. Anyway the total animation is very smooth and nice, but there is something wrong with the coat..

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 12:06:59 pm
Nice animation=)
The only problem notable right away - figure pose is out of balance (except shooting).=) Coat has  a heavy  rubber feel - otherwise it would catch the air. Last animation not quite readable (to me, i looked for a minute on 2x to figure it out=). if thats a spin with a kick I would add a bit of anticipation to give viewer a clue what's going to happen - revolving itself just lost. Idle animation is  a little strange,  but that's probably me.=)
And the one where he get his gun from his back - his  body don't show if a gun weight anything. I guess shoulders would lean forward, then go a bit back before settles to balance the move with a (considerably) heavy object.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:38 pm
Alright, thanks again guys. I think most of the comments were directed at the unsheathing animation so I focused my attention on that one today. I took a look at the base sprite and Fool was right about the balance so I moved his leg over a few pixels. On the way, I rethought my palette and tried to make it more versatile; blended in the highlights to make it look more natural. Also reworked abit of the coat draping down per Xion's review and tried to put more weight in that jerk frame I have.

Lemme know if I'm on the right track.

Oh.. I forgot to mention earlier that I'm working in "twos", I believe its called in classical animation texts. This comes out to 0.08 seconds per frame (1/12 frames per sec round down). Generally the principles are to work in "twos" or half of a two which is a "one" (1/24 or 0.04 rounded down). Some animators like to work in twos, ones or a combination of both (combination is recommended); usually ones for fast animations like mine which of course would solve alot of the confusion and make it smoother. But I wanted to hone my techniques toward "twos" because this is the most efficient frame per second, interms of human perception and I think this is the limit as far as most game animations go. ((MOST OF THIS INFO IS FROM "THE ANIMATOR'S SURVIVAL KIT" GO GET IT)) So in essence, I am missing alot of inbetweens in the fast areas.
         This information might be out of date but I deem it good for a general guide or else you will end up with a horrendous amount of frames and an unorganized mess of framerates. If you want to discuss this in my thread, you may. (((Surprisingly alot of professional animations are done in terms of 0.08 and 0.04 aswell [sometimes rounded up to 0.09 and 0.05].. atleast from the fighting games I've dissected.)))

Having said that, this is not my excuse; I just want you to know what I'm working with. I just want to make sure the animations are "readable", not excessively smooth. All of the critique have been great so far, thanks.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:37:43 pm by Omenith »

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 01:14:41 am

I think that the characters foot movement looks a bit fishy. In the first frame the right foot is one pixel above the green line and the left one is quite many pixels above. In the last frame the right foot is on the green line and the right foot is quite closer to the line than in the first frame. It'll looks kinda weird. Beyond that, great stuff.