AuthorTopic: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG ( update )  (Read 23135 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG

Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 06:49:06 pm
Looks great, but the thing that's been bothering me a lot for a while is that small floor tile. To me it looks like it's making a really nasty moire effect or whatchamacallit. Makes the picture really hard to look at. It also swallows those worms and characters. Maybe lower the contrast on the tiles and make them bigger.
I second that. Your floor tiles jump out too much for something that should be in the background. Try using a more restricted ramp on floor areas to lower contrast like huZba said..

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 02:28:57 am
Anyway Gil, FF isn't iso.. you obviously don't know what iso is.. so yea...

Obviously. Isometric, for your information is anything without vanishing points, with vanishing parallels, which your piece obviously is supposed to be. However, the way you handle it (projectional) looks way wrong, and makes it look flat. I suggest you don't use square floor tiles, unless you're looking straight down on them...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: March 24, 2007, 02:43:56 am
Anyway Gil, FF isn't iso.. you obviously don't know what iso is.. so yea...

Obviously. Isometric, for your information is anything without vanishing points, with vanishing parallels, which your piece obviously is supposed to be. However, the way you handle it (projectional) looks way wrong, and makes it look flat. I suggest you don't use square floor tiles, unless you're looking straight down on them...

The meaning of isometric is, simply, "of the same measure." (or of equal dimension)
However, in regards to pixel art (as helm mentioned) isometric refers to 3/4 perspective.

Let's not confuse our terms.

--

Anyway, in regards to the piece, the middle alteration of the sprite perspective in Turbo's edit looks the most correct to me. The proplem is the back wall doesn't seem to be in the same perspective as the trash bins. The wall could easily fit into a platformer, with no major overhauling. Either the trash bins need to be changed, or the wall needs to appear as though it is being looking down upon, rather than looked forward at.

Also, it might be in the piece's best interest to expand the canvas upward, and fill in the 'top' surface of the wall, to give a little more insight as to what is going on with the overall perspective.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 02:45:42 am by Stwelin »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #43 on: March 24, 2007, 02:52:39 am
We're not discussing different terms here, the point is that the perspective is totally bonkers and needs fixing...

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 03:26:50 am
Gil, cool down a bit. As a game perspective it works. Look at 2D Zelda games for example, dungeons are perfectly top down with an imaginary vanishing point, outside of dungeons stuff generally faces you in an orthographic way (like in many vertical shmups such as Dodonpachi) and link and the enemies are more or less sideone when walking left or right. Does it make sense from a logical point of view? No. Does it make sense from a gameplay point of view? Yes. There is not a single 2D game with proper perspective, NOT ONE. A game has to read fine and play well foremost, other things come second to that, perspective is somewhere at the ass of the list of things needed in a game.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: March 24, 2007, 01:43:16 pm
Yes look at Zelda.. You walk on walls... And its still one of the most popular snes games.. ever.

Anyway a new update, hope what i added to the wall helps a bit.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 02:06:49 pm
I think my brain just did a backflip after I looked at those small floor tiles for a while. They are way too distracting imo, even in 2x zoom.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 06:15:02 pm
wow. loving the zombies/infected people and the blood is grossing me out. Great job!

Now you defintely need to fix the floor tiles cuz the sprites look too good in comparison.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 07:26:50 pm
Been a while eh?

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG ( update )

Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 08:08:21 pm
It looks like a game!  You've come a long way.