AuthorTopic: pixel Shrimp ;)  (Read 22137 times)

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

pixel Shrimp ;)

on: March 09, 2007, 11:31:39 pm
Well this is my first pixelart
It was actually done in Photoshop
wanted to use it as Avatar but it looks strange somehow.

anyways here it is

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: pixel Shrimp ;)

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:59:38 pm
This looks suspiciously like a color reduction or photoshopped piece. The shadow has a huge number of colors and the "pixelled" part has 91. Even if you did this by hand, it needs work, especially in color conservation. If one pastes one image over the other, the outline of the shrimp deviates in only a few areas and several of the details are identical in shape. If you didn't reduce the image's colors, you traced over the outlines, a practice not smiled upon. You gain no skill from putting pixels right where they already are, and it won't get you very far in this community. Additionally, don't use tools to draw shadows or anything else.

I think the best thing to do in your position would be to redeem your reputation with some pure-pixel works or a progress animation that shows how you made this, using pixel-perfect tools (pencil, fill bucket, line tool, no auto antialiasing or gradients). Hopefully this is all a misunderstanding.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 12:09:30 am
This looks suspiciously like a color reduction or photoshopped piece.
It was actually done in Photoshop

It just needs more manual cleanup, and I'd personally get rid of the drop shadow and change the background color. A lot of the shrimp is white, so it's not the greatest idea to put him onto a white background. Especially when he's got suggested lines, where there are openings in the line of the tail and head, so it really blends with the background too much. There are also a lot of random pixels scattered around that could use fixing.

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 12:34:51 am
ok here's a little update
as I said this is my first pixelart
removed the shadow now and polished it a little.

somehow looks like a dolphin now :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 12:36:43 am by ndrake »

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48:57 pm
made another one, but the area unter the antennules looks horrible

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:57 pm
That's even more obvious of a color-reduction job than the first one... :mean:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:06:45 pm
You either have misunderstood what pixel art is, or you're doing this on purpose.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 08:24:44 pm
  I think he thinks of pixel art as something that is small.  I mean this IS his first one.  It's not that surprising, I went to an interview the other day at a game company and they told me they were doing isometric pixel art.  However, it was just shrunk down drawings that were cut out in photoshop and used like pixel art pieces.  They used square tiles too(not the normal isometric definition for sure). -And these people were making console games!

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:29:30 pm
If a company makes graphics like that it doesn't mean it is pixel art, because if they do it like the way you said, then it is not pixel art.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 08:55:26 pm

What exactly is Pixel Art?

Pixel Art is a discipline by which images are created with pixel-level intent or precision. It is more than an end product - It is a methodology focusing on techniques such as hand drawn dithering, anti-aliasing, shading, animation, geometry, and some color theory. Here on this forum, people develop these skills and in turn teach them to others.

When you post work that focuses on these methods, you will receive useful feedback that will help you to improve. While there's no static law that says something IS or IS NOT Pixel Art, some works can certainly be more in line with what is discussed here. For example, Oekaki, a web based drawing phenomenon, does not consistently represent the methods. Also, just because a game uses a sprite, that does not immediately qualify it as pixel art since some games have been known to convert 3D rendered models into sprite stills. Posting works like this is not encouraged.

Members at this forum are interested in many subjects and artistic mediums, and we do offer places on the forum more appropriate for the posting of non-pixel work. If you're posting reference images for pixel work, this is an exceptional case. Blatant disregard for the purposes of the forum will not be tolerated.

And if this does not help you clear things up, have a look around and at some tutorials. If you continue to post non-pixel art this thread will be locked. Further violation of the rules will result in unspeakable barbarity.