AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gaskman  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

[WIP] Gaskman

on: January 31, 2007, 11:53:34 pm
First:
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2242/gaskmanvh0.png
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7286/gaskmanos9.png
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4192/gaskmaneb3.png
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9705/gaskmanns6.png
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5109/gaskmanhs8.png
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5687/gaskmanqb3.png
Current:

Well to explain it, im planing on having half a gas mask and the other half human face, then if I can get them nice enough i want to put a cool background on it, so i was thinking on the gas mask side have like a destroyed city and zombies or somthing, and on the human face have a perfect city and normal people walking around.

C&C  on every thing, please and thank you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:10:38 am by K0re »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gaskman

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:09:23 am
I think your pallette lacks anything special, personally I'd add more colour changes to give it more dimention.. This looks like a pretty good idea and if done well this could look spectacular. 

-I made an edit to illustrate whatever advice im trying to give-

The basic linework for this is pretty solid and I have no qualms with any of it, I personally think the style suits well after working on it a bit myself. I do think you could benifit from using more colours, I added 2 more shades to the mask itself and changed the shading slightly... I just thought it looked too pillowshaded, maybe it still does but atleast it has more depth. I think its tricky since if you put a lightsource on your image, it should effect the other side of the head, otherwise it'd look very awkward.. having two seperate lightsouces again could look odd.

I didn't assume that you were keeping at a limited palette, but again I don't think the amount of colours I used are too extreme.

A bit off AAing wouldnt go a miss, it doesn't take long to learn and imo looks much nicer on the eye if you do it were necissery. The mask wouldn't suit too much dithering imo, looking at yours it looks far too textured imo, again only use it were necissery.. Make the most of your colours, for instance Ive tried to illustrate that you can use the lightest shades for the mask and for the skin of the face, though for the face itself, you'd need to select more skin-ish colours (warmer ones) as green and blue just wouldn't work for us.

I hope you can get something by looking at the colours I chose, im no palette guru but I do think I have a fairly good idea of what to do.. As a suggestion, I'd add in the bodies. With the gasmask I'd add a war environment into the background and possibly something euthoric for the face.. To like represent the mind of a soldier, as soldiers risk their lives are usually ready to die if necissery.

goodluck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:11:59 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:10:42 am
Terley, your my new hero that helped me out so much, I basically did everything yours have used the green and blue but I made it all darker and for a little extra.. uh coolness I put a cut/slash mark on the eyebrow area, might need to fix it up a bit more so it looks like an actual cut.

I'll work on the face tomorrow lets see how bad of colours I pick for the face.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:14:52 am
I think the glass eye-cover needs to be a little farther towards the center of the face, or at least stretch in farther a few pixels. if you overlay the eye on the left side, it doesn't match up, he'd not be able to see really.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:00:41 am
Okay, well I did some of the face, need to work on the hair (cant stand it) but I move the mask over a pixel or two so that the face doesnt look so wide and thats about it anyone have tips on how to make nice eyes? I'd love to see them.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:52:13 pm

you need more contrast in your colouring, I editted my edit to show illustrate, also I tried to give it a solid light souce. I do think it's a good idea to use colours that could be used for the face.

also I added a suggestion for a backdrop, for the face I was thinking of having him in heaven..?? you can add wings n a halo as if he's an angel.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:54:00 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:57:39 pm
well I wanted it to look old and dirty not so shiny and bright and for the backgroup having it during like a war, and the human face durring peace in a city.

but I see what you mean but i personaly dont care much for the colour count on this so i dont mind if colours used on the mask arnt used on the face maybe ill ajust the colours on the face so like 1 of them work on the face

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:38:41 am
Added a little contrast but still kept it dark. Made the hair blackish and then coloured the eye and reduced the colour count to 21.

Terley thank you, youve helped me alot  it would look horrid if it wasnt for you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:59:09 am by K0re »