AuthorTopic: Aren't you guys afraid of..  (Read 13120 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Aren't you guys afraid of..

on: December 21, 2006, 02:05:07 pm
Aren't you guys afraid that someone stealing your works here? I've seen great stuff made here, but chances are.. some idiot will claim your masterpiece as his. Do you have similar experience? and how did you handle the situation?

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: Aren't you guys afraid of..

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:17:17 pm
I know a few people who have had their stuff stolen.. their isn't really much you can do about it.. though usually, they will get found out, and as a community, you can give them a verbal b*tch-slap.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 02:22:34 pm
Unless they are making money out of my art, I couldn't care less.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:41 pm
I don't speak for everyone but personally I don't really give a shit. If someone wants to pass off their work as mine then let them... at the end of the day they're only fooling themselves.
there was once an intersting story that my brother had when he was interviewing a pixel artist for a job in his company, and they showed him some of my work (GB micromachines) that he'd colored for the GBA version - my brother said that was interesting and asked him to see the ruler from the desktop level... sure enough there was the proof... his company logo emblazened across one end of it... that I'd placed on there back in the early 90's - needless to say the guy didn't get the job.
It's annoying I suppose, especially with that particular instance - I've subsequently seen the product in question and discovered that i didn't have a credit for originating the artwork... but then again... I converted it in the first place from some of the other guys work form codies and I susspect they were'n't credited neither so alls fair and all that...

I also remmeber another ex member of staff who secured a job as a pixeler using my work in his portfolio - (the pilot avatars I use here and some graphics I did for carmageddon on the GBC [which were pants anyway but I digress]) point being he was shit at pixelling and soon lost his job...

Karma I think they call it.

There has been some instances where n00bs have appeared on these boards (or other boards that other users frequent) passing off other users material as their own... but they don't last long - usually you find that someone in the community recognises the material and blows the whistle... so all in all it's fairly well policed.

bottom line is, if someone wnats to steal work then they're likely to get found at eventually.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 04:30:03 pm
It's happened to me several times.  It's not so much that the actual stealing that pisses me off as much as me getting accused of stealing the piece by people who saw the thief's 'version' first. 
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 06:18:31 pm
Personally, I am the one who did it, I've got the experience. Whoemever steals from me, whatever, I could give a shit.

However, officially we hunt them down in pixelation and publicly flay their skin.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:07 pm
Ive thought of doing something cleva like ptoing did with that morse code thingie, hide some sort of signature somewhere so no matter what happens you can spot out to people who question if its yours or not.

I don't think im good enough to be steal-worthy haha, its happened before though I was just incredibly honoured that someone would see my work and think,' if I pull that off as my own I will be awesome!'

stealing is always wrong tho, and public humiliation is always nice.  :hehe:
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:07:29 am
In my experience, pixel rippers almost always get caught, even if word doesn't make it to the 'public' :p
typing ewith fdace

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 02:55:29 am
one reason I DO post my work here is for the security of knowing that my work is out there and people can vouch for the dact that I made it. So if a ripper ripped something of mine that was memorable to someone, it makes it that much easier to expose them. I love this place  ;)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 03:27:34 am
at a smaller and lesser known community I might be a little worried, but here- I'm confident that everyone can spot a thief. :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise