AuthorTopic: Best application to use for pixel art  (Read 3691 times)

Offline tinytheghost

• down to talk whenever, message me :)
    • @tinytheghost
    • View Profile

Best application to use for pixel art

on: August 26, 2018, 08:38:16 pm
What application should I use for pixel art? I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the different applications, I was wondering what everyone else uses.
Currently I've been using the website Pixilart.com, but I'm finding myself away from home often and Pixilart requires internet to save your work.

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Re: Best application to use for pixel art

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:03:23 am

There's also an interactive version of this if you go to Retronator HQ Store and type in TALK TO RETRO. After intro select "I want to get started with pixel art. What do I need?".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:06:44 am by Retronator »

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:10 am
GrafX2

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:56:15 pm
I feel it’s worth mentioning that GraphicsGale and the old version of Pyxel Edit are free, in case money is an issue. In the end, it comes down to your personal needs and preferences. I switch between Photoshop, Pyxel Edit, Graphics Gale, and Aseprite depending on what I’m working on (still images, tilesets, animations).
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline tinytheghost

• down to talk whenever, message me :)
    • @tinytheghost
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:11:32 pm
I feel it’s worth mentioning that GraphicsGale and the old version of Pyxel Edit are free, in case money is an issue. In the end, it comes down to your personal needs and preferences. I switch between Photoshop, Pyxel Edit, Graphics Gale, and Aseprite depending on what I’m working on (still images, tilesets, animations).
Thanks for that! I appreciate it. Would you say that Aseprite could be used for larger scale creations? Portraits or other things? I'm highly considering Aseprite because of it's simplicity, but I feel like simplicity is also a flaw. It seems super reliable and nice to work with.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:23:07 pm
Aseprite can absolutely be used for larger creations! I personally prefer programs that support pressure sensitivity for such pieces, but if your workflow doesn't require that, Aseprite's great. Its "shading" mode is particularly good for such pieces.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 07:21:15 am
As usual with this question, be more specific :) You want to do portraits? What else? Animated sprites? Tilesets?

I strongly agree with the practice of switching apps as opposed to 'one app to rule them all', because this focuses learning better.
(eg. even though I like GIMP and Krita, I would not recommend either of them for learning pixel art because of how many non-pixel-art things they contain. When learning pixel art, it's good to use a tool that offers you *only* things related to pixel art, because you'll then spend more time fighting with the medium itself than fighting with your tool)

Grafx2 is my general recommendation (having features for both animation and tilesets, as well as a good general complement of functionality). Aseprite has more sophisticated animation, but I find actually using Aseprite clunky.

Most of the things mentioned so far have their supported platforms and free/nonfree status recorded in Retronator's graph. With the notable exception of Grafx2, which is free and available on Windows, Linux, and (I think) Mac. Has been ported to phones too but I can't vouch for how well that platform works.

Whatever you pick, I'd suggest making sure it has customizable keyboard shortcuts. They're another way to streamline your work process / remove unnecessary complications.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:21:38 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.