AuthorTopic: [WIP] Axe Staff Thing (Newbie Warning!)  (Read 8364 times)

Offline Relvox

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art (Mainly Poems)

[WIP] Axe Staff Thing (Newbie Warning!)

on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:50 pm
Well ... Hello there friendly people of pixelation!

Seeing as how I'm a regular at the sorcery pixelation channel I decided I should actually try and do some pixeling.
I've been lurking around ever since Pixelation was all "Depressing Blue" (Color Wise) but I can't say it helped me too much.

Anyway,
I found some old thing I drew during class when I was bored and decided to try and turn it into a pixel thing. This right here is the very basic, but that's as much as I can really go with my present (lack of) skill.

Here is: The lineart: the trace: the block coloring: and some more coloring and details:

I realise it is nowhere near complete, and there are a lot of things I'm thinking about changing as soon as I think I'm good enough.

Just for a reference on what my skills are, here are a bunch of stuff I did throughout my life: http://tfkyle.dyndns.org/~relvox/imagesandwords/page.html

Thanks in advance for all or any helpful critique :)

Have a nice day.

Edit 1:
Made a little advancement

Edit 2:
improved the lighting (I think) Changed the colors a bit and experimented with dithering.

Edit 3:
nVision's Palette and an extra color:

Next step, the details!

Edit 4:
Separated the Sticks:

Attempt at details:Redid the scarab:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:30:08 pm by Relvox »
Crimson flames inside me burning,
Secret voices scream in pain.
Little spiders softly crawling
In my though forsaken brain.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: [WIP] Axe Staff Thing (Total Newbie Warning!)

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:19:04 am
What...is it?

Offline sk8m8trix

• and shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:39:05 am
its an axe.... staff... thingy
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be, In Nomine Patris, Et Filii, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 05:47:51 am
It's not that bad.  The first thing that stands out to me is that it's shaded directly from the top, and it makes it rather uninteresting... whenever I'm in doubt, I just pic a corner... that might help a little.  And while on the shading... the middle tone of wood and darkest tone of wood are nearly identical, so it sorta defeats the purpose of shading... I'd make the middle and dark shade contrast more, and if you're feeling bored, maybe try some hue-shifting.  As for the axe things--they've got good shape to them, but they seem as if they are just floating behind the staff.  If I was you I'd add some rope to hold them... and also, if were to keep the current from-the-top lighting, the axe blades would have a shadow from the wood above them.

I wouldn't worry about the scarab yet; I think that the staff itself needs some attention first.

Right now, the piece is rather bland, but I can forsee this being much better and interesting, and I have faith that you can make it so.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Relvox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 07:58:29 pm
@Xion Night: This is just something I've been drawing a lot on boring lessons. It's a staff with two axes attached to it (Or one stick with two blade?). [Now I see how you have such a high post count :hehe:]

@Rydin: Thanks for all the input, I'm going to try and shade it from a different angle and also maybe add some texture to the wood and stone (or whatever).

Basically, I want to use this piece to practice as much as I can. Especially with lighting, texture and details. This piece is nowhere near finished and I expect it to change a lot as I (Hopefully) improve.

Here are a few advancements I've made.
Changed the colors, and lightsource. Rocks in front for shading:

Brought stones to the back and fine tuned the shading.

As you can see, I've removed the Scarab since I figured it's too early for details yet.
You'll notice that nothing is holding the rocks yet, it will come soon.
And I'm a bit happier with my new colors.

Thanks in advance for more usefull critique!

Have a nice day  :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:31:01 pm by Relvox »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 09:45:04 am
If you've already colored it, it's definitely not too early for details. It's looking good so far, but I suggest you look up how light tends to fall on cylindrical surfaces, and also how wood looks when light falls on it. I think there'sa bit too much contrast currently and the way the highlights only follow the edges makes it look like it's made of square-ish planks.

Again, look up highlights on cylindrical surfaces and drag down the contrast on the wood. And get those details back in there!

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 04:53:30 pm
Did you take a photo with your cell phone to get the line art or scan it?

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 10:33:10 pm
Did you take a photo with your cell phone to get the line art or scan it?

exacly what i was wondering... its just lines.. not some character or something.. :p u could draw it on pc ><
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Relvox

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 10:46:46 am
Well, it has been a while. I've been direly busy with army and math lately :(

Anyway, I was looking and it and reading what you said and I indeed notice something's wrong with the lighting. With what I did, it looks as if the light is coming from the top right but also a bit from in front of the object. While I do think that it's wrong (it looks pretty wrong to me :P) it bothers me a bit that the stones are lighted in the same manner (A little less noticeable IMHO, because of the light shades).

The real probelm is that I've been trying for over an hour to improve the lighting it but somehow nothing looks good. maybe it's a bad choice of colors, I dunno but I really can't manage to get it to work :/. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a few specific pointers (Maybe even a relevant reference) how to get this done ...

@SCiDT & Senad: I scanned it with my scanner, I just had this drawn over many notebooks and I tried to cram them all in at the same time. While I do agree that this is not a very complex piece to require scanning, I'm not skilled enough (in my opinion) to do that transition without the scanning.

Edit 1:
I decided that maybe I should at least post my latest attempt.

Edit 2:
I gave it another shot, this time with some dithering ... is it any better?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 11:45:05 am by Relvox »

Offline Relvox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 06:49:54 pm
Well, I spoke to nVision and he suggested a new palette and an addition of a color for AAing the lighting.
I decided to keep my previous lighting scheme and incorporate his suggestions. here are the results:

I'm fairly happy with with the lighting and colors now, I shall advance to details now :)