AuthorTopic: Some pixel art from the newbie  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Some pixel art from the newbie

on: November 17, 2006, 09:49:52 pm
Hi hi!
I found this place today, and looking through all the threads on this page, and seeing so many amazing pixel artworks, I just had to join!

Anyway, here's some pixel stuff I made. Some of it is for a game or two I'm working on.

Let me know what you think, 'kay?

This here is a pixel pic of my Soul Calibur custom character...

And this is her doing her victory dance...

Sprites for a game in developement...

Some fun stuff... (Oh, I used the text tool on MS Paint for their names. hehe *embarassed*)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:56:20 pm by Ryona »

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Some pixel art from the newbie

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:05:34 pm
Your pieces are not newbish at all but you shouldn't post it at 2x. There is a zoom feature in the forum ^^

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:39:49 pm
Heya and welcome!

Only thing I got a problem with is the TMNT:s at the "character select screen" they look so bleach. Maybe that was intended though, but they look like some stuff I did a while ago when I had my old computer with totally screwed up gamma settings and stuff. Also the flashing behind the disco-dancers might be able to give some people an epileptic attack :]

Oh and as said above there is a feature on these boards, so you just have to left-click on a picture to zoom in, then use shift+left-click to zoom out again.

Very nice works I must add!

Cheers,

Lelle

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:47:10 pm
the TMNT stuff is really fun - make sure you think about their anatomy though as you draw and shade them.  Your turtles have the same two lines sticking otu the top and bottom of their kneepads in every pic, no matter what the angle or lighting setup - it makes no sense!  Lines in anatomy only exist because the underlying musculature warps your skin so much that it creates shadows.  That said, the palette and poses in the title splash image are pretty solid - just remember to think about their anatomy, don't just copy it!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:33:03 am
Thank you for the replies! ^_^

I wasn't totally aware of the zoom feature. Like, I read about it in the Rules section, but I didn't fully understand it. Thank you for explaining how it works! It's a neat feature! I like it.

Oh, and I think I know what you're saying, Lelle about the TMNT. The darks and lights in them don't contrast too well, right? I guess I can tweek that some time.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the anatomy, Adam. I don't often draw muscular characters, so I'm not totally familiar with how the details should look on a body. I'll keep it in mind in the future.
And yeah, TMNT are fun. hehe

Speaking of TMNT, here's some more animated sprites.
Some time ago, a few friends of mine suggested I make a TMNT RPG. I thought it would be fun, so I made some stuff for it already.

What do you think?

Sorry about the x2 size with this one!  >_<  It was already saved like this some time ago...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:48:34 am by Ryona »

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:31:06 am
cool stuff there!
I like your animations  :y:, hope to see you posting often more here.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 02:10:50 pm
Wow, I totally love your work - That anime style is superb.

Nothing can top TMNT art like that..  :y:

Offline //alaas

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:54:28 pm
The "victory dance" is god-like...
Simply loving each piece.. Wow.   :D

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 09:40:26 pm
The circulatory system animation is a nice, analogy for a health bar, I assume?  I'm curious about that game, the character has a very solid look.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:29:17 pm
Thanks, guys. ^_^

And to answer your question, Lackey, yes, the circulatory system is the health bar. Glad you like it.

As for the game, it's about a young woman who has been cursed by a vampire, and seeks him out before the night passes and the curse lasts forever.
There will be monsters such as ghouls, wicked spirits, and golems to combat.

Here's an idea of what the game screen will kinda look like. Bare in mind that I made the background with filters on Photoshop just to get a quick overall view in advance. The real backgrounds will be made pixel by pixel.

And this here is a design of the character...